Greece to prosecute artist for obscene art

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece to prosecute artist for obscene art

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

A Greek art curator is set to go on trial for insulting the eastern Orthodox Church by showing a painting combining Christian and sexual imagery.

Christos Ioakimidis could be jailed for up to five years if found guilty.

The authorities removed the work from an Athens exhibition in the run-up to last year's Olympic Games, following a complaint by a far-right party leader.

Greek artists and human rights activists say that the case threatens freedom of expression.

'Obscene'

Mr Ioakimidis organised a major modern art exhibition in Greece as part of a series of cultural events leading up to the Olympics.

The case against him stems from a painting by Belgian artist Thierry de Cordier, which shows an erect penis next to a Christian cross.

It was taken down after party leader Georges Karatzaferis lodged a complaint with the Supreme Court.

He denounced the work as the most obscene, immoral and shameless painting he had ever seen.

A BBC correspondent in Athens says other activists are angry with Mr Ioakimidis for removing the painting, saying he should not have yielded to pressure to do so.

Mr Iaokimidis is charged with insulting public decency and the Church.
    Too bad that Mr. Iaokimidis doesn't live in Western Country, because in the West you are allowed to make whatever kind of art you want.
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

People will still get pissed off, but at least you don't have to worry about going to jail.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

This was posted a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        This was posted a long time ago.
        It's a new news story at the BBC, check the link.

Comment

Oh, this is a different guy.

Comment

Re: Greece to prosecute artist for obscene art

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi

Too bad that Mr. Iaokimidis doesn't live in Western Country, because in the West you are allowed to make whatever kind of art you want.

Actually, we still have debate over whether or not flag burning is a legitimate form of free speech here in United States. Who knows if this form of free speech will always be protected.

But please, continue on with your masturbation about Western nations.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Masturbation

Comment

Didn't they ban a show in Ny a few years back because it featured a Maria painting with dung in it? Pot, kettle, black and all that.

Comment

IIRC, they ending up keeping the sculpture. The Protest was if such artwork should be supported by government funds by putting it in a Museum. I guess to some people failure for the government to fund something is the same as putting someone in jail for it.

Comment

I think extreme anti-religious or non-religious imagery is very healthy and a sign of a vibrant education and arts system, so I find it somewhat medieval when it is oppressed.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

And they want their marbles back.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                      X