Inbreeding turns worker females into lazy males

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inbreeding turns worker females into lazy males

Bumblebees could be facing extinction as inbreeding in colonies turns hard-working female bees into useless males, scientists have found.

The bee populations are now mainly confined to nature reserves - isolated by intensively farmed land with no other bees around.

This forces them to mate with relatives, the study found.

Male bees are "basically lazy", said study leader Dr David Goulson of the University of Southampton.

Even on well-protected nature reserves, the last populations of these rare insects may be driven to extinction
    Dr David Goulson
    A bumblebee queen usually produces a large number of worker daughters to help in the nest and with gathering nectar and pollen.

But if the queen mates with a relative, many of the genetically female offspring develop into sterile males.

"Since male bumblebees do no work, and have only one purpose - mating - a sterile male is worse than useless," said Dr Goulson.

"If the queen is producing sterile sons instead of worker daughters, the nest is probably doomed.

"This means that, even on well-protected nature reserves, the last populations of these rare insects may be driven to extinction."

Researchers studied a number of species, including the Moss Carder Bee (Bombus muscorum), at various sites across the UK, from the Hebrides in Scotland to Dungeness on the Kent coast.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Nooooo - bumblebees must be saved!

Discuss
    Blah

Some Brits will be in Berlin in september - be prepared!

Comment

Yeah. Beer
      Blah

Comment

Have you overcome your weird social anxiety then?

Comment

Let's wait and see....
          Blah

Comment

There's so much that threatens bees these days.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

da shi = big being

Comment

Bernd, come back to Civ2 scenario design!
                Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Tech, cool avatar!

Comment

Originally posted by techumseh
                    Bernd, come back to Civ2 scenario design!
                    Well, I did a lot of graphics stuff for Civ3, mainly unit anims, but overall I hardly play Civ (any version) anymore......also for big modding or scn design (Civ2 or 3) I have simply not enough time anymore.

I wonder if test of time is now more widely spread in the scenario design community as it was when I made my last civ scn....
                    Blah

Comment

Yes, it's potential has been recognized more lately.
                      Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

Working...
                      X