X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

25 million accross the world
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
      I'm agreeing with Gepap.

10-20 million deaths would not be difficult for the US to absorb as a state. It would probably have huge consequences on the shape and mentality of the state, but the state would still chug along.

How many died in Europe due to influenza in 1918-19? A comparable number I do believe
      It would still cause massive economic damage, especially if it was a city like New York that went up.

Comment

I dont think anyones defined collapse clearly.

we lost 3000 people one fine day, and it aggravated the recession. Would the loss of 10 million people, and the city of New York in particular, mean descent to the stone age? No, Gepap is correct. And probably not the collapse of the state either. But an economic depression, quite possibly.

Youre talking about the loss of the stock exchanges, most of the investment banking community, several of the largest commercial banks, and quite a few corp hq, and one of the country's largest ports in one blow. It would take the economy quite some time to adjust to that, and the adjustments would be quite painful.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Yeah, but honestly? Nobody except New Yorkers would miss New York.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
            I'm agreeing with Gepap.

10-20 million deaths would not be difficult for the US to absorb as a state. It would probably have huge consequences on the shape and mentality of the state, but the state would still chug along.

How many died in Europe due to influenza in 1918-19? A comparable number I do believe
            spread across numerous countries, over several months.

The problem is entire firms being lost, all in one day. Every bank in New York goes up in smoke. Who the hell pays off their out of town depositors? The FDIC? Ya think? What happens to firms across the country that have lost their liquid assets? Their insurance? What happens to all the firms that the New York firms owed money too? Youve got a spreading wave of bankruptcies, chaos in the currency markets - I would NOT want to head of the Federal Reserve while this is happening. It will make any recession since 1937 look like a walk in the park.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

For that matter, wouldn't a lot of financial records be lost?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                For that matter, wouldn't a lot of financial records be lost?
                some of thats backed up, I think, but im not sure where.

and considering that a lot of the people who DID know where, and how to get at it would be dead ....

Comment

if we lost all the financial records... it'd be like fight club, nee?
                  B♭3

Comment

WW2 saw US GDP rise at over 20% a year. If we are in a situation where 10+ million are dying in the US we are in what can justifiably be termed WW3. Its an irony that the US economy could boon in such a period.

It would depend on circumstance though.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

In WW2 the US didn't actually sustain any damage. In the same time the Soviet Union saw a GDP growth of -20% for at least one year

Comment

Are we assuming the US is going communist now?

Comment

I think it's reasonable to attribute that -20% to war damage and not to communism, since it occured in 1941 IIRC.

Comment

I was being glib.

Seriously though. The UK GDP grew at over 10% despite the major bombings and disruption. German GDP also grew in the build up for war by significant amounts, and certainly did not decline during the war until the end. The main reason the Soviet GDP dropped (and the French for that matter), I would guess, is that they had most of the populated lands invaded, and its not the fact that they were being attacked in and of itself that caused the decline.

If the US were being invaded in this hypothetical scenario then I would agree, the economy would likely suffer, but then the effect of an invasion would be far more devastating than the loss of 10 million lives as originally discussed.

Edit - typo.
                            Last edited by Dauphin; June 2, 2005, 18:32.

Comment

He sounds like the new MacArthur...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

The survival of the state is worth killing of 10 million people
                                Given that the lack of survival of the state is presumably to be imposed by someone a bit lacking in benevolence, quite possibly.
                                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                                X