No announcement yet.

Professional Stupidities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, this was called professional stupidities was it not? I guess your answer is: NONE!

In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working without the safety net is fine as long as you never fall. True professionals take risks. Those that take risks will need the net eventually. If you never fall, you aren't taking enough risks. So it only makes sense to use a safetly net.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
        Well, this was called professional stupidities was it not? I guess your answer is: NONE!

That's your problem - professionals rarley do stupid things Your cowboy isn't a prof, he's just stupid.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I'd rather go with a bang and die trying than be boring and average
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Well, I singed my eyebrows and hair, for starters. I'm only just geting into glazes, so I'm sure that I have lots of chemical mishaps ahead of me.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'd rather go with a bang and die trying than be boring and average
              What are you talking about ? Being a pro isn't neither boring or average - being stupid on the other hand, well it's just stupid - unless, of course, you are trying to get an darwin award
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

what ever mr Snooze!
                In da butt.

Comment

what ever mr Snooze!
                  If you by Snooze refers to my clock, well, then you are wrong. I tend to ignore it unitl I want to wake

Anyway, I had really expected a more intelligent answer from you. Maybe you should try using water instead of vodka in your sauna

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes of course you expected more intelligent answers from me since your argument is professionals never make stupid mistakes.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Re: Professional Stupidities

Do I take back ups from important files? Hell no! Sometimes I don't even keep older versions of programming files, I mean who needs those old files anyway, if I have to back track, well.. that's too bad. And that's the best way to screw yourself over.
                      Ever heard of revision control systems? It's not like something like darcs is hard to set up...
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Yes of course you expected more intelligent answers from me since your argument is professionals never make stupid mistakes.
                        What gives you that idea ? Of course profs make mistakes, it's just very rare that they make stupid mistakes.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well then give the rare stupidities and stop threadjacking this thread?

And there is a difference how you treat your own puter and how you treat puters and work in your job. If you claim otherwise, you are just stating there are only one type of people existing in this world, which might make you a professional in your own field, but stupid outside of it
                          In da butt.

Comment

Well then give the rare stupidities and stop threadjacking this thread?

Wow, thats the first time I have been accused of threadjacking because of responsing to the subject of the thread.

And there is a difference how you treat your own puter and how you treat puters and work in your job. If you claim otherwise, you are just stating there are only one type of people existing in this world, which might make you a professional in your own field, but stupid outside of it
                            If I'm not wrong, then the title of the thread is "Professional Stupidities" and that has very little to do with what you are doing with some private PC.

Really, you are getting deperate - trying to insult my personality instead of the subject discussed - are you a memeber of greenpeace ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

"If I'm not wrong, then the title of the thread is "Professional Stupidities" and that has very little to do with what you are doing with some private PC. "

and at the same time you say

"Wow, thats the first time I have been accused of threadjacking because of responsing to the subject of the thread."

Hmm.

"Really, you are getting deperate - trying to insult my personality instead of the subject discussed - are you a memeber of greenpeace ?"

No but if you read the OP I say I leave MY HDs outside the case, I said virus scanners etc in MY computer etc. For a professional you have problems reading and understanding.

I clearly stated that this thread is about professional stupidities, and sharing them. If you are Mr perfect, then you don't have any stories so you should just read because you can't contribute. Instead you are trying to spin this whole thread into 'you are not professional and professionals are not like you'. Exactly what did you not understand this thread was about?

Did I say "The big "Do as I tell, not like I do"."? That refers to a situation where you tell others to do it properly and you do it differently yourself. Like a cleaner having a messy home.

So yes, stop threadjacking and start contributing. And no, it's not a subject of debate what I meant. If YOU didn't get it, now you DO, so onwards please?
                              In da butt.

Comment

"If I'm not wrong, then the title of the thread is "Professional Stupidities" and that has very little to do with what you are doing with some private PC. "

and at the same time you say

"Wow, thats the first time I have been accused of threadjacking because of responsing to the subject of the thread."

Hmm.
                                And where do I go wrong ?

"Really, you are getting deperate - trying to insult my personality instead of the subject discussed - are you a memeber of greenpeace ?"

No but if you read the OP I say I leave MY HDs outside the case, I said virus scanners etc in MY computer etc. For a professional you have problems reading and understanding.
                                Nope, no reading problems - that is not a prof issue since you don't do it. Period. There is no discussion about this point - you just don't do that if you consider yourself as a prof. period.

I clearly stated that this thread is about professional stupidities, and sharing them. If you are Mr perfect, then you don't have any stories so you should just read because you can't contribute. Instead you are trying to spin this whole thread into 'you are not professional and professionals are not like you'. Exactly what did you not understand this thread was about?

Did I say "The big "Do as I tell, not like I do"."? That refers to a situation where you tell others to do it properly and you do it differently yourself. Like a cleaner having a messy home.

So yes, stop threadjacking and start contributing. And no, it's not a subject of debate what I meant. If YOU didn't get it, now you DO, so onwards please?
                                Nice try, but no cookie - what you described in the OP may be common procedure for a private computer but no way anything near professional treatment of such. Well if you are a newbee, you may act that stupid, but not for long.

Can't figure out what you want. No prof will ever do anything resembling what you describes in the OP ?

Edit : damn quotes got messed up trying to repair

Edit : hopefully with better quotes

edit : I think I have it now (and no this isn't prof - I'm on the way down the second bottle of redwine )
                                Last edited by BlackCat; June 1, 2005, 19:40.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X