Professional Stupidities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional Stupidities

Let's talk about this subject. When you are an expert (or at least THINK you are), you tend to do things in a different way to save time and resources. The big "Do as I tell, not like I do". Because you know your stuff, you can recover from disaster and you can take the risks because they aren't risks to you, or if they are, screw it you're an expert.

For example.. I do the most stupid things with computers. I would go on about changing partitions, convert HDs into different file systems etc without even having a single back up of my most important files. I would not even bother to make a rescue disk if my system would fail to boot. In fact I don't even have XP rescue disk, in case I'd be unable to get a hold of my OS, resulting into installing it again and prolly losing lots of important files. Why? Because I'm too lazy to put the floppy disk in. I risk it all because of it. In fact, in my new computer, I don't even have a floppy drive. Too lazy.

RIght now I don't even have my DVD-R attached to the computer.. I just have the regular DVD-player. So, I would had had to shut down the computer, open the case, attach the IDE cable and power cable to the player, put the case back on and boot up my computer, just to be able to burn a damn rescue disk on a CD? NO WAY!!!!!!!! Takes at least 5 minutes and requires squatting!

And I do it while I have 10 other applications running. Make it more exciting. Merge partitions, split them, what ever, no problem. Until the problem rises its ugly head and I'm truly screwed.

I know how viruses and worms spread, so as IT person, I would have excellent guards? ... yeah sure. I have the worst ones, I find them security things too restricting for my own uses. So why not configure firewalls to work great and virus scanners? Too lazy! I don't even have a virus scanner. Only stupid people get viruses, right? You just got to avoid them from the get go. DUH?

I'd have my HDs outside the computer case, and I'm always about to step on them, but who cares I usually am able to just balance myself just before the disaster. Sometiems when I eat, crumbles of bread or food drops on my HDs. Well in that case I do pick them up.

I would take my HDs unprotected and just throw them in the backseat of the car or what ever, in the middle of lots of stuff, to have it with me for my friend or so.

etc etc etc...

Do I take back ups from important files? Hell no! Sometimes I don't even keep older versions of programming files, I mean who needs those old files anyway, if I have to back track, well.. that's too bad. And that's the best way to screw yourself over.

The rule of the thumb is, if it says STRONGLY RECOMMENDED, it means 'stupid people read this'. It's not for you. You can always wing it.

what about you?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

I've made 50L of 1M HCL without a gas mask... never again
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      I've made 50L of 1M HCL without a gas mask... never again
      Ouch !!! That must have hurt.

Anyway - Pekka isn't at all a professional if he acts as stupid as he says. A wannabee professional acts that way, but a real prof prepares before battle.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Our chemistry teacher told us what happened when she made some mistake producing sulfuric acid (H2SO4 that is, not sure what you call it exactly). She did it some wrong way and had some bubbling burning vaporizing acid spilled over her torso, all of her clothes got dissolved within seconds. The lucky one got away with that, and having to run through all of school half naked to inform some person to call a doctor (it was late at night)...

Erst das Wasser, dann die Säure, sonst geschieht das Ungeheure.

I have no professional stupidity on me. Probably because I'm not professional in anything

Comment

You mean to say real pussies take precautions. This is true.

You won't win a battle without risks. And I do this to my OWN computer. Besides, I'm not some loser who installs hardware anyway.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Ouch !!! That must have hurt.
            I was in a fume hood, but still... bad form

not as bad as the time I made 1 M NaOH and was suppose to make 0.1 M... That cost us a pretty penny, especially since I was making 1,000 L of it!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              You mean to say real pussies take precautions. This is true.

You won't win a battle without risks. And I do this to my OWN computer. Besides, I'm not some loser who installs hardware anyway.
              Nope, real pussies don't know what they are doing and make totally unnessecary precautions - real profs always make nessecary precautions.

Even if you make a backup before doing anything, then you are taking a risk (who says that you can read the backup), but not preparing for trouble isn't the way to enter a battle it's just so wannabe prof.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Pekka.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I was in a fume hood, but still... bad form

not as bad as the time I made 1 M NaOH and was suppose to make 0.1 M... That cost us a pretty penny, especially since I was making 1,000 L of it!
                  Glad to hear, HCL isn't fun to breathe Anyway, I don't hope you are going for a career in chemistry

Steven Weinberg

Comment

1 mistake in over 5 years

and 1 stupid thing...

I'm a ChemE
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

BlackCat, you're wrong.
                      In da butt.

Comment

BlackCat, you're wrong.
                        Nope. I have been a pro for more than twenty years, and have seen more fvckups and situations saved by proper precautions than you can imagine

But keep up with your suicidal method - I guess that it will provide us with a lot of entertaining threads about your problems (that is if you have the guts to tell us when they happen )

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I always tell my problems. Don't worry about that. It's not a question of not knowing what to do. it's a question of being cowboy YEEHAAA! I'm not claiming to be PROFESSIONAL, but damn, what you talk makes no sense. Real professionals wing it. They invent things by accident, mostly because they broke all the rules, and resources while they were at it. It's not the managent attitude and mindset. It's the ability to do managment style, but not really going with it anyway.

There's a difference in professionalism and.. professionalism. You promote the boring let's do A and then B and read the manuals laalaalaa, take whole day dadadiidadadaa. That kind of professionalism is required when carrying monitors for a living.

Scientists however play with things and they are curious by nature. While you built a nice toy house as a kid, I wrecked mine.

The very .. German way of thinking is essential, however it can be avoided in action, sometimes, it's called being curious and innovative. I know there's nothing innovative about not covering your HD while taking them to other places, or not having a virus scanner, but it's the attitude man.. it's outside the box thinking and attitude. Linear approach is good if you are boring only, or have limited resources.
                          In da butt.

Comment

There was just an Office BD party... I didn't go.

talk about professional stupidity... the party, not me
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I always tell my problems. Don't worry about that. It's not a question of not knowing what to do. it's a question of being cowboy YEEHAAA! I'm not claiming to be PROFESSIONAL, but damn, what you talk makes no sense. Real professionals wing it. They invent things by accident, mostly because they broke all the rules, and resources while they were at it. It's not the managent attitude and mindset. It's the ability to do managment style, but not really going with it anyway.
                              But I guess that you will just luv be called a prof

There's a difference in professionalism and.. professionalism. You promote the boring let's do A and then B and read the manuals laalaalaa, take whole day dadadiidadadaa. That kind of professionalism is required when carrying monitors for a living.

Scientists however play with things and they are curious by nature. While you built a nice toy house as a kid, I wrecked mine.

The very .. German way of thinking is essential, however it can be avoided in action, sometimes, it's called being curious and innovative. I know there's nothing innovative about not covering your HD while taking them to other places, or not having a virus scanner, but it's the attitude man.. it's outside the box thinking and attitude. Linear approach is good if you are boring only, or have limited resources.
                              You totally miss my point. As a prof I know what I'm doing; I know when std procedure is just stupid and I know when I am wise to make a backup.

I guess that the difference between us is that you would gladly enter a red light area known for veneral disesases and not using a condom, while I would use such

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X