censorship on mtv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• censorship on mtv?

i'm puzzled by this. while MTV has always been the bastion of pop culture, there has always been an edge to it. now i realize that over the last decade or so (presumably following the death of kurt cobain), MTV has gotten more mass market friendly, but this is outrageous. MTV has done a lot to combat voter apathy in the 18-30 age group, and now they go and tell these guys that they can't have a frikkin backdrop? something is awry.

discuss.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

MTV countering voter apathy? That concept just doesn't process.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

what with all the "rock the vote" campaigns?

Comment

Keeping Bush's face off the air

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
          what with all the "rock the vote" campaigns?
          Either those had ceased when I started to watch MTV (not that I ever was much of a regular viewer), or they don't do 'em here.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

it would depend. they get some airplay on presidential years.

Comment

Good.

They got what they deserve.

No soapbox.
              "And his word shall carry
              death eternal to those who
              stand against righteousness."

Comment

mtv

then again, and no offense to anybody, but i'm kinda irritated with NIN.

not because of their music, or anything that they did, but all those really annoying fans who'd carve NIN into every **** thing in the world.

and actually, the mtv thing isn't just for this, either.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib
                  Good.

They got what they deserve.

No soapbox.
                  Why?

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
                    it would depend. they get some airplay on presidential years.
                    At a guess, only in the states.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      mtv

then again, and no offense to anybody, but i'm kinda irritated with NIN.

not because of their music, or anything that they did, but all those really annoying fans who'd carve NIN into every **** thing in the world.

and actually, the mtv thing isn't just for this, either.
                      way to not like something based on the way the fans behave, rather than the actual content. that's like saying you don't play civ because all the people at apolyton are really annoying. make up your own mind.

Comment

i don't like apple, not because of their hardware or software, but because of the insane and inane cult of mac.

i like nin's music. i don't like nin.

i'm cool and even like apple's hardware and software. i don't like apple.
                        B♭3

Comment

way to not like something based on the way the fans behave, rather than the actual content.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

MTV censors like mad, has done so as long as I can remember. It's hilarious to compare the MTV version of some videos (particularly for rap music) with the version Dutch music stations air. All the nudity, much of the stronger language and sometimes the violence filtered out -- sometimes you're watching two completely different videos

That's happening less and less though, now that MTV bought up all the Dutch stations and is imposing their American values on the Dutch viewer, thus denying us of all the juiciest videos

Don't know about poltical stuff though, I think much of the American political crap is fortunately spared to the European viewer (in my experience anyway, it's not like I watch all day, especially lately -- I think I might be getting too old for it ).
                            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

MTV wouldn't play Madonna's Justify My Love video, among others, because it was too risque. That was in 1990. I'd say they're pretty accomplished at censoring.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X