Memorial Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

My great-uncle was a marine. He was at Iwo Jima - my mom said he never would tell them about it, because it was so horrible.

My grandfather was in the Navy, but the war was over before he finished training.

Memorial Day

Comment

My brother was in the PI, he was loaded on a ship twice to go north, but they droped the bomb and ended WW II. His son was in Vietnam. My brother grandson flew a Black Hawk in Iraq during the invasion. All of them are still alive.
        I was discharge some 90 days before my ship went to Nam. Just luck I guess.

A lot good kids were not so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          My great-uncle was a marine. He was at Iwo Jima - my mom said he never would tell them about it, because it was so horrible.
          My dad was in the Philippines....again, jungle fighting....horrible....he almost never talked about it, then only briefly...my mom passed on some of the gory stuff he told her...picking up his best friend and putting the pieces in a basket...couple of times, mom had to grab him to keep him from jumping out of the car at the sound of a backfire.

Comment

If you are able, save for them a place Inside of you,

And one backward glance when you are leaving, for the places they can no longer go,

Be not ashamed to say you loved then, Though you may or may not always have,

Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with Your own,

And in that time when men decide, and feel safe, to call the war insane,

Take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
            1 Jan 1970, Dak To, Vietnam

KIA 24 Mar 1970, Cambodia
            Last edited by Slaughtermeyer; May 31, 2005, 02:30.
            Click here and here to find out how close the George Washington Bridge came to being blown up on 9/11 and why all evidence against those terrorists was classified. Click here to see the influence of Neocon Zionists in the USA and how they benefitted from 9/11. Remember the USS Liberty and the Lavon Affair.

Comment

My mother just found a poem written by her Uncle Jack, my deceased grandmother's younger brother. It was an antiwar poem, about his not wanting to go to fight in WWII. He did though. He piloted a B-24 Liberator bomber over Germany. His plane was shot down and his whole crew parachuted to the ground, where he was killed by a mob of German farmers. The Nazis saved the rest of the crew.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Margraten War Cemetery... Thanks guys.
                Attached Files
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                  Ar cnoc fíor-uaithne
                  gar do na scamaill bán,
                  sínim amach is teagmhaím
                  anaim na gcéadta ó shin:
                  cogarnaíonn siad dom chroí -
                  scéalta a streachailt
                  muíneann siad a sean-shlithe dom,
                  go n-oibríodh racht ionam
                  an troid a choimeád suas -
                  go mbeinn in ann fógairt
                  " seo é do lá, m'Éireann dílis -
                  faoi dheireadh tá tú saor "
                  What's this Pekka? I recognize that it's Irish, but what's it from.

The last two lines are something like 'this is your day Ireland, under (late?) you are dear'. Man, I had no idea my Irish is so rusty.
                  STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

it's no longer memorial day. And isn't that a U.S. specific holiday anyways?

Comment

our_man, yes it's Gaelic.

Here is the translation:

on a green green hill
                      close to the white clouds
                      I reach out and touch
                      the spirits of centuries gone by
                      to my heart they whisper
                      tell me of their struggles
                      teach me their ancient ways
                      stir in me a passion
                      to carry on the fight
                      until I can proclaim
                      your day has finally come
                      you are at last free
                      my beloved eire
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                      X