Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic United States Politics: 2005 Edition

This made me smile...

This is all confettiofstars's fault . Something happens. Someone does a half-assed job of reporting on the something. The bleep-wing blogs erupt in outrage. Meanwhile, someone else locates the other half-ass, reports on the deficiencies of the original report. The bloop-wing blogs erupt in outrage.…

Something happens.

Someone does a half-assed job of reporting on the something.

The bleep-wing blogs erupt in outrage.

Meanwhile, someone else locates the other half-ass, reports on the deficiencies of the original report.

The bloop-wing blogs erupt in outrage.

Ann Moore (or perhaps Michael Coulter) says something inflammatory, and later claims that it was intended to be funny or based on little-known facts, and don't all you other-wingers have a sense of humor or care about the facts?

Someone compares the Bush administration to Nazis. Someone else says that nobody could say that sort of thing if they weren't a Commie. Nobody has the sense to tip the resulting slap-fight over into a vat of pudding and sell cable rights.

Actual facts about the something that happened emerge, unnoticed, and vanish into obscurity.

An entertainment celebrity states an opinion. A quarter of the population is outraged that a mere entertainer should dare to speak an opinion on politics; a fifth of the population boycotts that celebrity's movies/music/pet causes. Another fifth of the population publically declares that the boycotters are insane and don't care when a celebrity on their side voices an opinion. Yet another fifth says, "Hey, I haven't heard of this person, I should check out their stuff," leading to a brief spike in sales. The actual opinion is rapidly buried under histrionics, and the event that sparked it entirely forgotten.

Various minority groups are blamed for the event by extremists on various sides, and are dismissed by all but their drooling partisans. Various groups and individuals are likewise accused of hating America, spitting on the Constitution, and making the baby Jesus cry.

Someone notices that actual facts surfaced and bemoans the fact that nobody noticed, complete with fingerpointing at the other side. Outrage is generated. Nobody changes anyone else's mind.

Someone says something completely, mindbogglingly insane. The bleep-wingers shout that this is what's wrong with the bloop-wing. The bloop-wingers get fed up with the bleep-wingers' blind insistence that the wingnut is responsible for anything other than the wingnut's opinions and call the bleep-wing a bunch of morons. Hilarity ensues.

Jon Stewart either points and laughs at all involved or is reduced to outraged gibbering by the generalised incompetence of the mainstream news on the Daily Show.

Then something else happens.

Repeat until suicidal.
    Stop Quoting Ben

sounds more or less like our politics....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Fine until the Jon Stewart bit. What is this, a plug for his show?

Comment

OMG! Jon Stewart PWNZ LiveJournal!
        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

It should be mentioned that the Ann Coulter wing tends to vocally agitate for physical violence, murder, and mutilation against their opponents more than the Michael Moore wing.
          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Nice description of the lifecycle of an OT thread.
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
              Fine until the Jon Stewart bit. What is this, a plug for his show?
              STFU! Jon Stewart PWNZ ju!
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                It should be mentioned that the Ann Coulter wing tends to vocally agitate for physical violence, murder, and mutilation against their opponents more than the Michael Moore wing.
                Great example of what it was talking about. We knew we could count on someone here
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                X