Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is that Jim Henson?
    Yeah.

And you should buy Tiger, mono. You get a student discount. There's no excuse.
    Does it run faster than 10.2.8?
    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
    Drake Tungsten
    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
    Albert Speer

Comment

• Originally posted by monolith94

Yeah.

Does it run faster than 10.2.8?
      Hell yeah. You'll need at least 512MB of RAM though, and more if you can afford it. IIRC you have a G4 mac, so it should run sweet. I've had enhanced performance with every upgrade.

It's like having a new computer. Since you haven't had Panther, the change will be even more radical.

It is worth it for the search feature and automator alone. I have an automator script take and reformat and resize my screenshots for Apolyton, with one click.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
        Yeah, I'd rather have a gigantic and fugly sidebar.
        Sidebar was canned, because it was similarly chaotic and useless and gimicky.

Apple takes such a feature and it's suddenly useful and innovative, until the novelty wears off.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Attached Files
          Bunnies!
          Welcome to the DBTSverse!
          God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
          'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Apple takes such a feature and it's suddenly useful and innovative, until the novelty wears off.
            It is useful. I use it all the time.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
              Current Dashboard.

World Clocks; Weather Widget; Battery Widget; Sunlit Earth; iTunes and Album Art; and Low Overhead (chicks in confined spaces).
              Where'd you get the "Sunlit Earth"?
              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Macs...

...meh.
                  Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                  1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• You didn't knew what a hottie was, aggie? Is the Wikipedia widget actually working? The one you can put in Firefox doesn't
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by nostromo
                      You didn't knew what a hottie was, aggie? Is the Wikipedia widget actually working? The one you can put in Firefox doesn't
                      .. it just works..
                      Attached Files
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I don't get it -- what's the purpose of the tiny Wikipedia widget there when you've got Wikipedia opened in a full-featured full-screen browser in the background...?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Duh... I don't usually use the widget when I want to surf Wikipedia. It's for looking up odd things, especially when I'm doing other work. It sure beats opening the browser, opening wikipedia and then typing in the query.

As it happened, when I read Nostromo's post i was coincidentally just starting a session in the Wikipedia. That is why the window is open in the background. Coincidence... nothing else.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I see.

I just hit CTRL-K and type whatever to search Wikipedia.

Comment

• Honestly, I never used Active Desktop in Windows, and I never use the Widgets in Dashboard.

Indeed, though I can't turn off Dashboard, I disabled the keyboard shortcut to it, and I removed it from the dock.

Everything else, like weather (which crashed often, dunno why), news, google, calculation, and wikipedia, are served by the browser I always have open, and the pages it's on.

http://qcubed-x0.uchicago.edu/base.php takes care of most of the search, and the "g" shortcut in opera means I can do calculations and search quickly and easily.

I've also found that I rarely use Expose.

Indeed, the one feature I like about Tiger/OS X is Spotlight. However, as I'm slowly starting to organize things the way I like, folder-wise, I'm needing it less and less, so...

What it boils down to is I honestly don't really find a difference between Tiger and Cheetah--they really are service packs that you have to pay for. Ah, well. It's not like I really use it for mission-critical things anyway, that's what my x86-linux/windows boxen are for.

oh, and now all three of my desktops are linked:
                              mac - windows/linux desktop - windows laptop
                              and i can use the same mouse/keyboard across all three without messing with wires.
                              B♭3

Comment

• But you still have the inconvenience of a browser window. I could do that with Launchbar if I chose to.

Windows just sucks, get used to it.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X