Affordable Family Formation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    The topology of Washington's public transportation is no less wide. But Washington is a typical American city. The city itself is a wasteland for families. The suburbs have room to grow and are growing quickly. Of course, this growth can't last forever, but it can last for an awful long time.
    When the American suburbanite has to compete with the Chinese and the Indian suburbanite for gas, suburban living is going to get very unaffordable.

Currently, American drivers average 8,000 miles of driving per year. The typical exurban dweller will probably be driving twice as much, or 16,000 miles. A two-adult family will be doing 32,000 miles a year, and given average SUV fuel efficiency, 2,000 gallons of gas.

At $2 a gallon, that's $4,000 a year, significant but tolerable. At $6 a gallon, which is what Europeans pay, that's a steep $12,000. We're not considering the other costs of car ownership here either, or the increased cost of other products that need to be trucked in from coastal ports.

Bar some breakthrough in fusion power, the end of that "awful long time" is going to come in our lifetimes.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
      Drake it's an interesting article. But I've said it once and I'll say it again: The US has too many unique aspects to make a generalization like proposed possible.
      You're most likely correct. It's fun to take a look at the issue from a whole new angle though, isn't it?

For #3 Marriage Gap, why does he only take into account statistics involving white women? You can't ignore 20% of the entire population.

Probably because blacks as a group (and hispanics, to a lesser extent) vote overwhelmingly Democrat for reasons other than the ones covered by his hypothesis. One of the unique aspects mentioned above...
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Put mom within walking distance of six smaller stores that between them meet her needs without necessitating driving, and maybe what mom "needs" changes.

Doubtful. Japanese towns are designed this way, but it hasn't stopped the invasion of one-stop shopping centers.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          But Washington is a typical American city. The city itself is a wasteland for families. The suburbs have room to grow and are growing quickly. Of course, this growth can't last forever, but it can last for an awful long time.
          For a guy who spouts realism -- especially fiscal realism -- you're positively on drugs here. Washington, with its bizarre fiscal and political relationship to the Federal government, is absolutely the least typical American city, even less so than New York. Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Portland, Cleveland, Houston, even San Francisco -- these are typical American cities, different as they are from each other. But DC, with the structural barriers it has to controlling its land, taxing its industry, and sending representatives to Congress, is a city like no other.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

If you live in an area where your housing prices are higher, you likely don't have many non-English speaking immigrants in your schools .

This is a place I think the analysis breaks down. The places with the highest housing prices are usually pretty 'white'. Perhaps immigration raises housing prices through a national supply shortage, but that doesn't work for me either.
            Yea, lord knows that Los Angeles and New York have hardly any immigrants.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
            X