+15.57 percent in 38 days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Japher
    MtG; how much do you think YOU will need to retire? (in today's dollar)

Also, assuming the boat is paid for (I want a power catm, but this one will do)

If I'm "actively investing" retired, then half a million would be fine. I could extract six figures a year out of that, and still grow the principal nicely.

If I'm "out of contact except send me a draft every month from my Swiss bank account to the next island I tell you", then about six times that should be safe.

Beyond that, it's just a question of what toys I want to have.

For the boat, I prefer good old fashioned wood and sailcloth. Although I have a romantic attachment to manilla line, it's a friggin' pain in the ass to maintain, and a handripper to boot, so I'll go synthetic on the lines.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

What's a good investment forum?

I use morningstar for general investing

and

thecreativeinvestor for real estate

anyone?
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't hang out on forums.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
          If I'm "actively investing" retired, then half a million would be fine. I could extract six figures a year out of that, and still grow the principal nicely.
          You're seriously deluded.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris

You're seriously deluded.
            Been making that kind of return for a lot longer than 38 days.

Then again, all that Euro denominated stuff just flounders around and goes nowhere.

Comment

I doubt though that you can average that for 10+ years. Besides it's unsafe to be playing too much with equities when you need a fix income that you'll withdraw independently of capital fluctuations: we all know that money isn't lost till the stock has been sold, though in a situation where you need that money to pay your bills you may have no other choice than to take the loss.
              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Flavored Vodka.
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

If, buy "grow the principal nicely" you mean that you will grow the principal by 10%, you're looking at starting at a 30%+inflation rate of return the first year, with the return slowly decreasing as time goes by (assuming that you don't want to take more than $100k out per year.)

Sorry, Mike, gotta do it: I call BS. If you could do this you'd retire by now. Hell, I've got $600,000 and I don't think it would be possible to live like that - can you help me?

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    How would you even think that from what I said?
                    You implied that everyone in China doesn't pay for software, and you live in China.

QED
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

If, buy "grow the principal nicely" you mean that you will grow the principal by 10%, you're looking at starting at a 30%+inflation rate of return the first year, with the return slowly decreasing as time goes by (assuming that you don't want to take more than $100k out per year.)

Sorry, Mike, gotta do it: I call BS. If you could do this you'd retire by now. Hell, I've got $600,000 and I don't think it would be possible to live like that - can you help me?
                      *grabs popcorn* this will be GOOD

I thought the $500,000 figure sounded low, but I wasn't about to challenge it since MtG knows roughly infinitely more than me about such things

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                        You've joined the dark side, haven't you?
                        He *IS* the dark side.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

You implied that everyone in China doesn't pay for software, and you live in China.

QED
                          Once again you either didn't understand or are misrepresenting what I said. The only logical implication from what I said is that such illegal software is easily available in China, which it ridiculously is.

So please explain how you drew the conclusions above. You have a bad habit of posting false things as facts. I think if you followed them with an explaination of what you are thinking, people would either understand where you are coming from and/or help you to correct your ideas. Just some friendly advice.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I thought the $500,000 figure sounded low, but I wasn't about to challenge it since MtG knows roughly infinitely more than me about such things

"Such things" being a code word for "everything", right?
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                              Hell, I've got $600,000
                              Let's mug him!!!
                              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                                Then again, all that Euro denominated stuff just flounders around and goes nowhere.
                                LOL teh ignorance
                                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                                X