Study: Violence breeds more violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Study: Violence breeds more violence

It's in german, I give a short summary at the end.

US-Studie: Gewalt wie ansteckende Krankheit

Jugendliche greifen viel eher zur Waffe, wenn sie selbst einmal Zeugen einer bewaffneten Auseinandersetzung waren. Das bestätigt eine US-Studie, die den Wurzeln gewaltsamen Verhaltens nachging.

Ihr federführender Autor, der Sozialmediziner Felton Earls von der Harvard Universität in Boston, vergleicht Gewalt mit einer Infektionskrankheit: "Mit jedem gewaltsamen Verbrechen, das wir verhindern können, beugen wir einer Kaskade von Folgeverbrechen vor."

Das persönliche Erleben von Gewalt verdopple bei jungen Menschen das Risiko eines eigenen Gewaltaktes innerhalb der folgenden zwei Jahre.
    Die Studie "Firearm Violence Exposure and Serious Violent Behavior" von Jeffrey B. Bingenheimer erschien im Fachjournal "Science" (Band 308, S. 1323-6, DOI: 10.1126/science.1110096).
    -> Zum Abstract der Studie (kostenpflichtig)

Zeugenschaft der Gewalt als stärkster Faktor

Die Untersuchung basiert auf Interviews mit 1.500 Kindern und Jugendlichen aus verschiedenen Stadtteilen von Chicago über eine Zeitraum von fünf Jahren und geht nach Angaben ihrer Autoren weit über die sonst üblichen Fragen hinaus.

Demnach hat das Erlebnis einer gewaltsamen Konfrontation mehr Einfluss auf künftige gewalttätige Tendenzen eines jungen Menschen als alle anderen Faktoren von Armut über Drogenmissbrauch bis zur problematischen Familiensituation.

Die Forscher verglichen junge Leute, die unter ähnlichen schwierigen Verhältnissen aufwuchsen, aber Zeugen oder auch nicht Zeugen einer Gewaltszene geworden waren.

Source: http://science.orf.at/science/news/1...form&tmp=12961
    So some guy interviewed 1,500 kids in Chicago and concluded that if a kid is a witness of a violent event, it is more likely to be the cause of such an event within the next 2 years. He compares it to a contagious illness.

I don't know why they mention 2 different names (one for the article and one who obviously has done the research).

There is also a link to the article but it requires a subscription. My university unfortunately doesn't have one that allows to view this. It would be nice if one of the Polydemics with subscription could provide me with the document (per mail.. atagod § gmx dot at)

what about video game violence?

I guess it could work that way. It's like when I see 2 people having sex, it makes me want to have sex.

Comment

Danke für die Übersetzung. Mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut -- es ist kaputt. Young Striker sprict sehr gut Deutsch.

Anyway good article. What's interesting about this is that it describes violence not in a generic way, but it goes to an actual violent EVENT.
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Interesting. It's surprising that witnessing violence is more important than drug abuse, family problems, or poverty.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Doesn't this fall under the "obvious ****" category? Like studies showing that male and female brains are different?
          B♭3

Comment

omg male female brains different? omg you chaunvisti feminist nazi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eugenics HUGE MAGE MINUS FOR YOU SIR!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Study: Violence breeds more violence

Well who would have thought!
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

male and female brains are more similar than different actually

Comment

you see this is why your european common identity is BS. Your thinking world is weird and sick.

Female and male brains are different. Period.

Yes they are more similar than male and donkey brain.

There is no 'more similar than different'. That just makes no sense.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

So are you saying they are still both human
                    Blah

Comment

I wrote that because

a. it is scientifically correct ( a guy with a beard said it on tv)
                      b. I knew it would get pekka going
                      (as scientifically correct things do )

Comment

no, because you are not making any sense. They are more similar than different? Well Duh, of course? Similar comparing to what? Different comparing to what?

It's like saying, well, brunette hair and blonde hair is actually more similar than different. Like for example, what the hell are you trying to say?

When it comes to science, our ways split. I think it speaks for itself that one of us is in it and one of us is not. You just want to make love to young Turkish boys and pour ouzo on their wounds you inflicted on them. It made you crazy man, I'm sorry.. you can't be helped.
                        In da butt.

Comment

bof, nothing special that reply
                          i think he's tired

Comment

you're just a troll anyway. At least I have passion.
                            In da butt.

Comment

snip

ok

Comment

Working...
                              X