No announcement yet.

'Japan soldiers' found in Philippines jungle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We considered people dressed as islanders to be enemy troops in disguise or enemy spies. The proof that they were was that whenever we fired on one of them, a search party arrived shortly afterward."3 It had become a cycle of disbelief. Isolated from the rest of the world, everyone appeared to be the enemy. "

This site doesn't go very far into it. I watched a Discovery channel (iirc) documentary which interviewed Philippine families on Lubang. They recalled how their grandmother was sitting on the porch and was shot, that sort of thing. Many civilians were killed just going about their work. A favorite tactic was to shoot rice farmers in their fields. The people would go after the Japanese soldiers after but could never catch them in the jungle. Still, their family members were being murdered so it pissed them off and they never quit trying.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

This states that his rifle was still in 'operating condition'

One much-publicized case was Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda. He had been stationed on Lubang Island in the Philippines when it was overrun by U.S. forces in February 1945. Most of the Japanese troops were slain or captured, but Onoda and several other men holed up in the jungle. The others were eventually killed, but Onoda held out for 29 years, dismissing every attempt to coax him out as a ruse. Finally the Japanese government located his commanding officer, who went to Lubang in 1974 to order Onoda to give up. The lieutenant stepped out of the jungle to accept the order of surrender in his dress uniform and sword, with his rifle still in operating condition.

Comment

Check this out...he was pardoned by >>>Marcos<<<, "much to the disgust of the islanders Onoda had raided and shot at for the last 30 years. "

"The following day the ceremony was repeated for the world's press when Pres. Ferdinand Marcos again returned Onoda's sword to him. He also pardoned Onoda for his crimes on Lubang, much to the disgust of the islanders Onoda had raided and shot at for the last 30 years. "

"But what had Onoda fought for? Back on Lubang, he left two close comrades and at least 30 Filipinos in their graves. They were casualties of a long-forgotten war because of one man's stubborn adherence to the samurai ways. "

Comment

Thank God we dropped the bombs and the emporer personally announced the surrender. That's hard core.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That's an *******.

Comment

Imagine if we'd been allied with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                Imagine if we'd been allied with them.
                After the Rape of Nanking?! I think not!

(BTW in the map in the first post, if you go directly northward from the "I" in Mindanao, the next island you hit is Bohol, where Lancer's winter residence is.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

After the Rape of Nanking?! I think not!

(BTW if you go directly northward from the first "I" in Mindinao, the next island you hit is Bohol, where Lancer's winter residence is.
                  As opposed to the Stalinist purges? The ongoing Soviet atrocities?

Ah, what might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                    There's plenty of golf courses...
                    There are, but they cant make anymore...
                    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

how could they think the war is still going on. What war lasts 40 or more years? (aside from the 100 years war )

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        Thank God we dropped the bombs and the emporer personally announced the surrender. That's hard core.
                        Hard core tempered by good fieldcraft, the worst combination. "Luckily" most of the hardcore were also the "charge straight up Edson's Ridge into .50s and BARs with both crossing and plunging fires and stick it to 'em with bayonets and swords" types.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

As opposed to the Stalinist purges? The ongoing Soviet atrocities?

Ah, what might have been.
                          "Higashi kaze ame"

More to the point, what might never have been, since the Japanese viewed us as the primary threat to their hegemony over eastern Asia, and viewed us as a key geopolitical rival since Perry's black ships.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            how could they think the war is still going on. What war lasts 40 or more years? (aside from the 100 years war )
                            And that little Isreali-Arab tiff.
                            And the Pakastanis & Indians.
                            And the Basques & Spanish.

Can't we all just get along.

Comment

Why didn't the Phillipines send their Army after him?
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                                Why didn't the Phillipines send their Army after him?
                                The army was more interested in repression back then (during Marco's reign). Who cares if some Japanese coot is shooting peasants, as long as they are not revolting because of it.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X