Statistics Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics Question

How do I find out the probability of a random sample of n=15 having a mean of +1 standard deviation of the population mean?

I've been trying all day to work this one out, but it has continued to give me problems.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

The standard deviation of the mean of a random sample of a population with normal distribution drops as the square root of the size of the sample.

In other words, a sampling of 15 people at random from the population will give a mean which is normally distributed about the population mean with standard deviation 1/sqrt(15) times the population standard deviation.

So the probability of your fifteen people having mean equal to or greater than 1 sigma is the same as the probability of taking an individual and having him be equal to or greater than sqrt(15) sigma = 3.87 sigma or so (0.01% or so IIRC)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is a standard random walk problem...
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Its what I get for not studying this though.
        Cheers.
        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
        X