Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Great Spoiler Debate (with spoilers!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Spoiler Debate (with spoilers!)

My position is simple: if you are opening up a thread about a specific work already in release, be it an analysis of Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, a recently released movie, or an already-aired TV show, you should expect to see a discussion of specific plot points. Spoiler warnings are nice, but not needed.

However, if you bring up plot points in a thread not devoted to a specific movie/TV show/piece of music, then you should use the [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] tags. This even include threads like "Best ending to a movie" where one would say something like:

I really loved the ending in Casablanca where Rick,

Spoiler:
    finally realizing that there are things bigger than himself, convinces Ilsa to get on the plane.

Now, there will always be a degree of subjectivity about this - everybody knows that

Spoiler:
    Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are related

especially given that this famous surprise plot-twist was the driving force behind the prequels. But then... they may not.

Also, spoiler warnings are necessary when discussing unreleased works - for example, I've already seen Cinderella Man, which is to be released in a week or two, and while it might not really surprise anybody given both the history of James Braddock and the history of feel-good Hollywood fare, the fact is, in the end

Spoiler:
    he wins the big fight.

What say you?

In the poll, the last two selections are for you to vote on whether threads about specific works should have spoiler tags within it.
    When discussing unreleased works.
    22.73%
    When discussing recently-released works.
    20.45%
    When discussing plot points of any work, regardless of how old.
    9.09%
    In threads that have little relation to the spoiler (i.e., talking about the end of "Rocky" in a thread about a visit Philadelphia)
    13.64%
    In threads devoted exclusively to a specific work, spoilers should be assumed
    12.50%
    In threads devoted exclusively to a specific work, spoilers should not be assumed.
    9.09%
    In threads about Bananas, spoilage is a BIG no-no.
    12.50%

Spoiler:
    Everything should be put in spoiler tags, just to be sure
    Blah

Comment

Options 1,2,4 & 6. But then I'm a bit JohnT-ish at times.

Comment

Dammit all, JT, I posted this in the other thread before you precpitately asked for its deletion.

Anyway:

Do you get fries with it ?

No, I think you're absolutely right with regard to unreleased/unreviewed works- it's simply a matter of courtesy to other people who are likely to be interested in the same film or book not to mention

a) the ending

b) surprises/twists

c) important plot points

because they may become enraged and come round and eat your liver, or your neighbour's ass.

If it's a general post about lots of different films, or different books, e.g., 100 Favourite War Films, My Best Loved Hallmark Greetings Cards, My Favourite Leonard Nimoy Poem, 10 Limp Bizkit c.d.s I Have Incinerated, then I think a little reckless plot/storyline/denouement badinage is allowed.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Shlt.

Spoiler:
          I voted incorrectly in my own poll

A dumbass I am.

Anyway, deduct one vote from "In threads devoted exclusively to a specific work, spoilers should not be assumed" and mentally place it in "In threads devoted exclusively to a specific work, spoilers should be assumed."

Comment

Spoiler:
            Assumption is the mother of all ****ups...
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Spoilers should only be used to be annoying, or to mislead people.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Spoiler warnings could also be given in thread titles, for example when the thread is about a news article.

Something like:

"Breaking News: Aliens attack! Warning *SPOILERS*"

Blah

Comment

Or: E Coli, Listeria and Salmonella: SPOILERS !!!!!!
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Yeah.
                    Blah

Comment

Or, Bill Gates and his wife, SPOILERS!!

Comment

Re: The Great Spoiler Debate (with spoilers!)

Originally posted by JohnT

Now, there will always be a degree of subjectivity about this - everybody knows that

Spoiler:
                        Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker are related

especially given that this famous surprise plot-twist was the driving force behind the prequels. But then... they may not.
                        WHAT I WATCHED THE MOVIES LIKE 20 TIMES AND ALWAYS TAUGHT HE WAS JOKING BUT HE WAS SERIOUS?...

this explains a lot
                        Bunnies!
                        Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                        God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                        'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Right, I think people should use the spoiler tag for important plot twists, or anything which would ruin the suspense of a movie, when it isn't reasonable to believe people would know the plot twist. Either that, or an indication should be put in the top of the threads that there are spoilers inside, or at the top of the OP.
                          "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

I think people who have something "spolied" by reading a plot line in an internet forum are weird.

I can know the whole plot to a movie, even before I go, and still enjoy the movie. The lack of "revelation" at the moment has never been a big loss for me.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I know I was pissed when Ned revealed the end of Million Dollar Baby to me.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X