Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would You Be Downloading On Your Death Bed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would You Be Downloading On Your Death Bed?

London (AFP) May 22, 2005 - Death could become a thing of the past by the mid-21st century as computer technology becomes sophisticated enough for the contents of a brain to be

Death Could Be Averted By 'Downloaded Brains', British Futurologist Says
    London (AFP) May 22, 2005
    Death could become a thing of the past by the mid-21st century as computer technology becomes sophisticated enough for the contents of a brain to be "downloaded" onto a supercomputer, according to a leading British futurologist.
    However, he told the Observer newspaper on Sunday, this technology might be expensive enough to remain the preserve of the rich for a decade or two more.

Among other eyebrow-raising predictions by Ian Pearson, head of the futurology unit at British telecommunications giant BT, is the prospect of computer systems being able to feel emotions.

This could eventually involve such things as aeroplanes being programmed to be even more terrified of crashing than their passengers, meaning they would do whatever possible to stay airborne.

While the predictions might sound outlandish, they were merely the product of extrapolations drawn from the current rate at which computers are evolving, Pearson said in an interview with the newspaper.

"If you draw the timelines, realistically by 2050 we would expect to be able to download your mind into a machine, so when you die it's not a major career problem," he said.

"If you're rich enough then by 2050 it's feasible. If you're poor you'll probably have to wait until 2075 or 2080 when it's routine.

"We are very serious about it. That's how fast this technology is moving: 45 years is a hell of a long time in IT."

As an example of the advances being made, Pearson noted that Sony's new PlayStation 3 computer games console is 35 times as powerful as the model it replaced, and in terms of processing is "one percent as powerful as a human brain".

In views which those of a religious persuasion might find hard to handle, Pearson said the next computing goal would be to replicate consciousness.

"Consciousness is just another sense, effectively, and that's what we're trying to design on a computer," he said.

"Not everyone agrees, but it's my conclusion that it's possible to make a conscious computer with superhuman levels of intelligence before 2020."

One of the "primary reasons" for such work would be to give computers emotions, Pearson said.

"If I'm on an aeroplane I want the computer to be more terrified of crashing than I am so it does everything to stay in the air until it's supposed to be on the ground."
    emotional computers

We know immortality can never happen... so what would you choose if this and death were the only options?

The article from the Observer for Guardian fans...
    Britain's leading thinker on the future offers an extraordinary vision of life in the next 45 years.

You could have a conversation with your strawberry yogurt before you eat it.'
    DIE STRAWBERRY YOGURT! DIE!!!
    Yes
    53.85%
    Maybe
    15.38%
    No
    30.77%

While the predictions might sound outlandish, they were merely the product of extrapolations drawn from the current rate at which computers are evolving, Pearson said in an interview with the newspaper.

And from reading any number of science fiction books written in the past 20 years.

Comment

Like Gateway, by Frederick Pohl.

Comment

How, pray tell, would you read the contents of someone's mind? The brain wasn't designed to be read, there aren't any ports or jacks to plug into. It was meant to run a body, it's primary comm channels are to the mouth and hands, which unfortunately are very slow.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I can't take this seriously.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Sounds like BS.

And besides, even if your brain could be downloaded onto a computer, I don't think it would be the same thing at all. It wouldn't be you, just a copy of your brain that is now on your computer.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

leading British futurologist

Comment

Can we get the affinity gene too?

Sounds like this was taken straight outta the 'Night's Dawn Trilogy' by Peter F Hamilton.

Bring on Edenism

Comment

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
                  The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

WHERE ARE THE FLYING CARS???

MOLLER???????????????
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I can't take this seriously.
                      This is Apolyton, all threads are to be taken seriously.

How else do we hope to live biologically between the ages of 20 and 25 for centuries as suggested in the Immortality thread?

Ian Pearson, head of the futurology unit at British telecommunications giant BT
                      I bet someone in his unit predicted this would happen. It's only a matter of time before they build The Matrix.

Comment

Does anybody know where I can find info on the progress of NASA's "Highway in the Sky" program?

It was used during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta and is supposedly being used by some commercial aircraft right now. When completed, it's supposed to let private citizens buy aircraft like the skycar, without having a pilot's license.
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

"Would You Be Downloading On Your Death Bed? "

Uploading actually.
                          Long time member @ Apolyton
                          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I'm trying to figure out how to upload my brain and then download it into a lesbian.

Comment

CarterCopter

Comment

Working...
                              X