No announcement yet.

Apple to use Intel chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyway I wonder how much more marketshare OS X would get if it would run on i386 or amd64

Overall I don't think this would be a bad move for Apple. They could extensively focus on the Pentium-M.. as a recent article on THG showed.. this CPU performs better than a P4 at a fraction of the energy consumption. So they could use the Pentium-M for desktops as well as for Notebooks. Don't need to support P4 or Athlons and therefor can still keep their hardware business closed as they like it (even though I think this is bad).

Comment

Intel's chips are more consumer-oriented, IBM's chips are increasingly backend-server-rack oriented.

For that famous server the XBox?

It's probably something else.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Just read this hilarious post on Slashdot

This is false! Kids, listen: If you want to get laid, buy a Powerbook, get some black-rimmed glasses and a dog-eared copy of a Thomas Pynchon novel, and go find a good coffeehouse near a university. Grab a table near a napkin dispenser. Do not open the Powerbook but place it conspicuously on the table in front of you. Pretend to read the novel. Make eye contact with the grad student across the way and smile.

If things go well, she will decide that she needs some napkins, and while gathering them together will accidentally drop some on the floor. Help her pick up the excess paper and make a stupid little joke, something like "Oops, there go some trees." She will then say something like "I love Pynchon" at which point you reply "Have you seen Zak Smith's illustrations [themodernword.com] for Gravity's Rainbow?" You will then open the Powerbook and visit the site via a bookmark in a folder named 'Diversions'. It is important that she not see the folder marked 'Linux stuuf' or 'pron'. Spend the next thirty minutes saying things like "I really do think media is ultimately the message" etc. If you successfully complete this sequence of steps, sex is all but guaranteed.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I wonder if it might be those XScale (?) processors for a PDA.

With WWDC around the corner Apple usually has some new toys.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Intel's chips are more consumer-oriented, IBM's chips are increasingly backend-server-rack oriented.

For that famous server the XBox?

It's probably something else.
            More Xboxes are sold than Apple laptops.

It's also a very different situation from a business perspective -- MS actually owns the chip design/blueprints for the Xbox 360 CPU. They paid IBM an undisclosed amount of money to design the chip, then pays them an undisclosed amount of money to fabricate the chip.

There's no risk for IBM here.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

More Xboxes are sold than Apple laptops.

They hope.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's not a lofty goal by any stretch of the imagination.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You will be able to tell if the rumour is true. See whether Apple sues.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

In any case. Apple should not be worrying about Intel – they should be hand delivering my Tiger update CD, which is 2 days overdue.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

This is false! Kids, listen: If you want to get laid, buy a Powerbook, get some black-rimmed glasses and a dog-eared copy of a Thomas Pynchon novel, and go find a good coffeehouse near a university. Grab a table near a napkin dispenser. Do not open the Powerbook but place it conspicuously on the table in front of you. Pretend to read the novel. Make eye contact with the grad student across the way and smile.

If things go well, she will decide that she needs some napkins, and while gathering them together will accidentally drop some on the floor. Help her pick up the excess paper and make a stupid little joke, something like "Oops, there go some trees." She will then say something like "I love Pynchon" at which point you reply "Have you seen Zak Smith's illustrations [themodernword.com] for Gravity's Rainbow?" You will then open the Powerbook and visit the site via a bookmark in a folder named 'Diversions'. It is important that she not see the folder marked 'Linux stuuf' or 'pron'. Spend the next thirty minutes saying things like "I really do think media is ultimately the message" etc. If you successfully complete this sequence of steps, sex is all but guaranteed.
                      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

From across the pond:

MAKER OF DESIGNER hardware, Apple, has denied that it is forging an alliance with Intel.

Rumours that Apple was considering swapping its IBM and Motorola PowerPC chips with x86 technology made the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

The reason for the change was that Apple was fed up with PowerPC technology falling behind X86 architecture.

However, Apple is denying the reports saying that the news should be placed "in the category of rumour and speculation".

According to Techmec, here, these sorts of reports surface occasionally and could be a warning to IBM and Motorola to pull their socks up.

It is worthwhile pointing out that just because something is rumour and speculation, it doesn’t mean that it is not true and will not come true. Just Apple does not want to talk about it.

The Wall Street Journal doesn't have the reputation of being a nexus of rumour and speculation.
                        linky
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

OOOHHHHH, the pwnage.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Hmm, why do I get the feeling this is written by a virgin..and one that's going to remain as such for a long while to come.
                            Virginity is all but guaranteed...
                            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Hmm, why do I get the feeling this is written by a virgin..and one that's going to remain as such for a long while to come.

Personal experience perhaps?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

I don't have a laptop.
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X