Ramo in Deutschland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramo in Deutschland

I landed in Würzburg yesterday, and am planning on being here for the next three months. Anything I should see/do in particular?

I also took out a loan, and got a Eurail pass, so I'm going to travel around the continent in a couple months (after I finish my research).
    Last edited by Ramo; May 23, 2005, 06:59.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Hm, unfortunately I never was in Bavaria, so I am not of help here, I'm afraid....
    Blah

Comment

There might be a museum dedicated to Roentgen in Wurzburg, or to the Irish St Kilian who established a monastic centre there.

Can't think of anything else offhand.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The Eurail ticket is a good investment, but you should really plan your trip so that it avoids GTermany (IIRC, with the Eurail ticket, you still pay for the train in the country where you bought it, and German trains are horribly expansive)

I have no idea about Würzburg. maybe Sir Ralph will be able to help, with him living in Bavaria and all that.

If you come through Stuttgart, you're welcome to crash home
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Würzburg!??!?!?!

Comment

Go see that massive gothic cathedral. it is awesome. I dont remember in which city thought. Close to France... cologne?

yup cologne

Comment

Germany has quite some massive gothic cathedrals. The cathedral of Cologne is only one the most often mentioned.

As for me helping, well, I'm living only about an hour away from Würzburg, but to my embarrassment I have to admit, that in the four years I live in this region, I have never been there myself. Passing by on the autobahn not counting.

I'm living in a village between Bamberg and Nürnberg. Both towns are worth a visit, but both could not be more different.

Nürnberg is the larger one. It's not a city, but rather a cluster of cities, including Nürnberg, Fürth and Erlangen. Nürnberg has been deliberately flattened during the last war (understandable, with it being symbol and center of the Nazi ideology) and does not have as much old buildings as other cities have. It's christmas fair (Christkindlmarkt) is legendary, but alas, it's the wrong time now.

Bamberg is much smaller. It is about thousand years old and has a beautiful ancient city core, including a nice cathedral. It has a lot of bars and restaurants, which are a pleasure to visit especially in mild summer nights. They are prepared to meet Americans, since Bamberg has a garrison (scheduled to be disbanded, though). Food and drink are formidable. Well... Spiffor might not like it, it's fat and heavy and goes best with beer (which is not bad if you ask me), but it's definitely not similar to refined French cuisine.

You definitely should visit München (Munich) .

Comment

And in which city is the sindone of christ? the sheet of christ? i remember seeing it although seeing it is a bit exagerating. it was behind huge security mesures so you could only get a glipse of it. i again dont remember in which city though

Comment

Visit Berlin, Heidelberg and Erfurt.

BeBro
                  I never was in Bavaria

Comment

Schloss Neuschwanstein
                    Attached Files
                    The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Erding! For that genuine Erdinger feeling!
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                        I never was in Bavaria
                        Saupreiß, damischer!

Comment

Dude don't go to Berlin. It's OK, I mean it's cool but there's more cool things in Germany than Berlin. Berlin is mostly just.. a big factory.
                          In da butt.
                          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Vallée de la Loire in France is pretty chill if youre into castles. a TGV leaves from Paris (Gare Montparnasse i think)
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Combat Ingrid
                              Schloss Neuschwanstein
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X