No announcement yet.

Research as a "fake job"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that thread was memorable due to the large standard deviation of ass-hattery in it -- the usual suspects were present, but some unexpected contributions were made by posters who were not ordinarily given over to douchebaggery.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      I think the argument was that it was part of education and therefore they didn't have the right to unionize any more than a normal student.
      In case you never noticed, student associations are a form of union.
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        I think the argument was that it was part of education and therefore they didn't have the right to unionize any more than a normal student.

And postdocs need to do research as part of their "education" so they can get professorships, professors need to do research so they can get tenure...

Put in a few 90 hour weeks and tell me it's not a real job...
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger
          Yeah, if I remember correctly then [Kuciwalker] was one of the "I've been to high school, so I know everything there is to know about college" screech monkeys
          QFFT
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I remember when the Yale grad. students wanted the Yale employees to put their jobs on the line so that the students could try to form a union. That upset me a bit. Otherwise, I support graduate unions.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
            X