Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Angela Merkel new chancellor of Germany!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atahualpa
    So I guess it's time for the first open-gay chancellor!

He looks handsome . . . . . .

unless of course, he has a gut.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well, what platform are they expected to use for autumn? Leftist or centrist?
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Centrist.

Otherwise they'd have to neglect all of their traits from the past 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
          That's like saying "Atahualpa dead of heart failure", just because it MIGHT happen at some point in the future.
          I nearly died of heart failure because I had to laugh so hard when I first heard this!

Seriously, I really feel with you. The situation in Germany couldn't be worse, politically. The descision you have to do will probably be one of the toughest and many are finding themselves voting against what they believe in.
          And I think this will have a serious effect on Europe. I don't dare to imagine...

Comment

But hasn't a centrist platform essentially been proven useless for the SPD in the election yesterday? It seems like they can't out-centrist the CDU/CSU.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Also, they'd need new leadership to turn lefty. The current head of party is quite lefty, but the chancellor isn't. Also, the big lefty guy they had at the top is gone now.

All in all I can't see them turn to the left in the near future. They'd make arses off themselves after what they've started now.

Comment

Hard to say now. With Schroeder IMO they can't suddenly turn more left, it would look totally ridiculous since he was economically rather not the classic social dem. Even if this costs him support now I don't think he can simply turn around 180 degress without even more political damage.
                Blah

Comment

The CDU/CSU is actually quite to the right... with people like Stoiber being the rightwing nut. Ofc it may seem that Germany is so far to the left that they are center again.. but then, Stoiber is there to remind you.

Or not... I am not such an expert in german politics

Comment

CDU/CSU aren't centrist.

The problem is, the welfare state we used to have was quite lefty. When these guys began deconstructing it, out of being centrists, they appeared a bit heartless to voters who now punished them.

CDU/CSU are basically leaning to the right, but for the past 7 years all they did was whining about the government. While we can expect even quicker deconstruciton of the welfare state now, people feel attracted to vote CDU because they're anti-government.

If the SPD stays centrist, they'll still be to the left of those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                      Hard to say now. With Schroeder IMO they can't suddenly turn more left, it would look totally ridiculous since he was economically rather not the classic social dem. Even if this costs him support now I don't think he can simply turn around 180 degress without even more political damage.
                      Schröder has to go... there's no chance with him.
                      The question though: Is there someone else capable in the SPD?

Comment

Nope, noone in sight. Has anybody heard anything of Sigmar Gabriel? He seemed a good bloke, the first who fell victim to the anti-government hence pro-CDU rage. Then he disappeared in the sinking

Comment

This is quite unfortunate.

Comment

Stoiber seems like a reasonable fellow to me.

Where does he stand on the important issues?

I'd be voting Free Democrat, of course.

Comment

I've heard that CDU is the second most right-wing of the West European conservative parties, after the Tories of course. Is that true?
                              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

That might apply for their Bavarian part, not sure about the whole party though.

Comment

Working...
                                X