Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curbs to be imposed on foreign students in US unversities

Link

In short , in the USA , from now on , any technology which may potentially have military applications will require a license to study , if you're from a "country of concern" ( which included India , but not Saudi Arabia ).

I say this is plain retarded . Almost every technology can have military applications .

OMFG!

The Commerce Department has made me have to agree with aneeshm

DAMN YOU COMMERCE DEPARTMENT! DAMN YOU TO HELL
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Hmmm

The list of countries of concern is as follows:

China, Cuba, India, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Libya, North Korea, Pakistan, Russia, Sudan, and Syria

First of all, how many students from Cuba and NK are there in the US, really?? We don't even have diplomatic relations with them, or with Iran.

And why Iraq and Israel?

China, Pakistan, and India I sort of understand, thought not as much Russia.

Comment

aneeshm, hey by the way, I'm planning a trip (which I intend to do some work also, nothing to worry it's.. something of my own business, not taking your jobs over there ) to India next summer. I'll be possibly staying there for... maybe a month or so. This is not verified yet, but chances are it'll happen. Can I ask you some questions if this should happen, about just normal things? Nothing big, just normal FAQ of India type of things ??

Looking very much forward coming over there.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

No problem , go ahead and ask all you want .

@ GePap

Did you know that "sensitive" topics included mechanical enginering , electronical engineering , and Comp. Sci. ? And that Saudi Arabia is not on the list of "countries of concern" ?

Comment

They should add every single middle eastern country on to that list. I suppose India gets on the list due to the nuclear bomb incident a few years back and because of the nasty habit Hindu nationalists have of burning train loads of muslim.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I support the policy, but the implementation seems awfully clumsy.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ummm . . , , ,

It was a train load of Hindus that was burnt , actually .

And what nuke incident so you speak of ?

Comment

In India , there is a similar policy , but we don't restrict people like that . We have special institutes dedicated to military research , so that there is no such problem ( of "sensitivity" ) .

Normal students from normal universities are free to use any resources their university provides . Nobody not a citizen of India is admitted to the military universities in the first place , so no security problem . And once you pass out of the military university/research institute , you don't have to worry about a job - the military provides it . So no possible "leaks" .

Comment

The policy is really stupid. Its not like other countries are incapable of getting this kind of technology (we are not talking here about nuclear warheads, super colliders, rocket engines, or stealth aircrafts), so if foreign students start going to other universities, as they already have started to do, then in the end the pace of development in the US will slow, and if anything, other states will catch up technologically faster.

Besides, even access to good tech is a secondary factor of military strength. How much you spend is number one.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm
                      Did you know that "sensitive" topics included mechanical enginering , electronical engineering , and Comp. Sci. ?
                      LMAO!

What's next, basket weaving?

Another thing is number of Chinese students going to the US has been declining sharply in the recent years. They go to Eurocom universities or ::shudder:: Chinese ones instead.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Cheers to another foolish policy!
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The clerical workers' union is really going to flip out when this starts being implemented - they're already underpaid and striking every other semester.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Two of my first years are going abroad to study next year, one in the US, the other in Canadia. They told me that they feel like their wasting their time in college in China. I told them not to worry, all the students here feel like that.

Given the rising number of cases of foreign (mostly Chinese) students and workers who skip back to their country after stealing technical information, future patents, and other such things, I'm not surprised this is happening. Whether it will be benefinicial or not remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, students are still getting high priority in visa applications.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So US universities are now having practicals on building nuclear weapons and developing biological weapons? Interesting...

In reality, this sounds like more stupidity...
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X