Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does anyone make of this news article?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does anyone make of this news article?

More Unrest in Iraq
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

This is just me OK, but it looks like there's more unrest in Iraq.

Comment

The report is on Yahoo.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
        This is just me OK, but it looks like there's more unrest in Iraq.

What about the role of the British newspaper in this latest development?

EDIT: And the New York Post?

Comment

If you want me to actually click the link and read the article, then I have no comments.

Comment

Thank you for your contribution, Winston.

Comment

i don't see how the pictures are that bad, they show him sitting on a chair, in his undercrackers, washing his socks.

what's been violated, his right to put on a pair of trousers, or his right to a washing machine
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                Thank you for your contribution, Winston.
                I bumped it, thereby saving it from the abyss of page 2, didn't I?

Comment

I think Saddam's pic is more of an excuse than anything. "OMG, there's a pic showing Saddam in his undies! Let's kill the Yanks!!!11!"

I'm not surprised that the Sun chose to publish the pic, btw.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                    i don't see how the pictures are that bad, they show him sitting on a chair, in his undercrackers, washing his socks.

what's been violated, his right to put on a pair of trousers, or his right to a washing machine
                    If he has POW status, taking and using his photograph for purposes of humiliation violates the Geneva convention. I would assume he's classified as such, rather than a common criminal, because we don't trust in the reliability of the Iraqi detention system and we want to make sure he's there to be tried, convicted, and located in front of a convenient wall.
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Re: What does anyone make of this news article?

Originally posted by MrFun
                      More Unrest in Iraq
                      That dropping a grenade or ten in that hole Saddam was hiding in would have been a simpler, better solution, and that we should have seen to it that somebody took out that mother****er al Sadr.

The rest of it is the obvious jockeying by different Shiite and Sunni factions who have no intention of participating as minority groups in a parliamentary democracy
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

mtg, wouldn't that depend on who took the picture and how it got out.

like for example if a freelance photographer took it and then it got used, would this violate his rights. or if someone in the army took it for some innocent purpose, but it got leaked by someone, would this violate his rights.

or would there have to have been someone in the army taking it, and an intention to use it to humiliate him?
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Why do Iraqis liberals Iraqis hate America?
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
                            mtg, wouldn't that depend on who took the picture and how it got out.

like for example if a freelance photographer took it and then it got used, would this violate his rights. or if someone in the army took it for some innocent purpose, but it got leaked by someone, would this violate his rights.

or would there have to have been someone in the army taking it, and an intention to use it to humiliate him?
                            He's in the custody of the US military, so unless there's some huge breach of security, a freelance photographer would have to be given access to him and allowed to take the photographs. That in itself would be a violation, unless there was an objective military reason for taking the photographs, or some other mitigating reason.

There's no real punishment, and no real sanction, so as far as I know, there's no body of law to detail what acts or circumstances clearly cross the line and what dances up to the edge of it.

It seems clear that the photographer was allowed access to Saddam for the purpose of taking those photos, and the results speak for themselves. Not that I'm terribly sympathetic, as I think the SOB should never have come out of his little hole, or should have been promptly dealt with before now. The lack of control of the situation on our end does bother me, though.

Comment

ah ok, thanks mtg.

Comment

Working...
                              X