Veggie meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veggie meat

You know the stuff : it looks like meat, but it does not taste like meat, nore does it contain any meat.

So I wonder, who buys (and eats) this stuff ?
    I cannot imagine a true vegetarian wanting to eat something that looks like meat.
    Why else would they be vegetarian ?

example
    veni vidi PWNED!

It's good for people starting on the road to vegetarianism. It's easier to give up ham and switch to faux-ham then go straight into the grilled vegetables and homous sandwiches.

*mmm.....I really fancy a grilled vegetable and homous sandwich*
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Homous makes you fat.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I wonder if all the stuff they put in to make it look like meat is healthy though.
        veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

1. People who aren't 'true vegetarians', as you say, and still crave flesh. (usually they will eat it as part of a diet, or because it is a healthier alternative to meat)

2. People who want to hide the fact that they are vegetarian, or attempt to breach the gap a bit with non-vegetarians so that they are not harrassed as much when eating with them.

3. People who enjoy the conveniance behind the idea of hotdogs and hamburgers, and really just want an excuse to have ketchup and relish on something.

4. People who enjoy the flavour. Afterall, isn't that what it's all about?

I wonder if all the stuff they put in to make it look like meat is healthy though.
          Couldn't be any worse than the stuff they put in the non-veg products.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Couldn't be any worse than the stuff they put in the non-veg products.

Yes it could, easy.

You just don't eat from the right farms, young ranger.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Worst case scenario, mashed up insect vs mashed up mammal/bird brain......hmmm

I think Im just going to quit eating altogether
              Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Re: Veggie meat

Originally posted by Flandrien
                You know the stuff : it looks like meat, but it does not taste like meat, nore does it contain any meat.

I cannot imagine a true vegetarian wanting to eat something that looks like meat.
                Why else would they be vegetarian ?

example
                there are a lot of people who start being vegeterrians, but still want to eat meat

surprisingly enough

they do it for health reasons, or religious reasons...

Jon Miller
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm on a diet. While I still enjoy the occasional real cheeseburger, most times I have a healthier substitute. Boca makes a variety of soy-based "burgers", and their cheeseburger is okay. A couple of those on a bun with lots of tomato and onion, with a splash of BBQ sauce, satisfies the craving until I feel I've made enough dietary headway to indulge in the real thing. I try to have "real" meals once, maybe twice a week (last night it was chicken souvlaki & garlic sauce), while I eat healthier (whole wheat pasta, Boca burgers, lots and lots of vegetables) the remainder of the week. I've been doing this for 3 weeks now, and I've lost 8 pounds.

Comment

me, I have been a vegeterrian all my life

and my mom would be the faux meat at times (morningstar stuff, gardenburger stuff, some others...)

but it was mostly because in order to live a healthy vegeterrian life, you have to eat a good ammount of Soy

and she didn't like tofu (and some of the other non faux meat ways of getting it) so we ate the faux meat

it is easy to cook also (Throw it in the microwave, and than put it on some bread and you have a sandwich that gives you protein)

my mom's parents were meat eaters in their youths.. (my mom wasn't), I think she got her cooking habbits from them

note we ate faux meat even when we were vegans (ate no milk or dairy..)

Jon miller
                    (I beleive that she eats chicken at times now.. but this is just based upon what my siblings have said, she still seams to prefer to eat no meat as when I go home I never see her eating any)

(I am the only one of my siblings currently a vegeterrian (And the only one who has been for a long time))
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Fake meat is ideal for group living situations like mine, where we have two people cooking dinner for 20. The non-meat part of a dish is prepared and then divided into two pots, the real meat goes into one, the fake meat into the other.

From my experience though, while US fake meat has made huge advancements in the last few years, it's still nowhere close to the Taiwanese fake meat industry. Due to the popularity of Buddhism there, fake meat has been taken to a high art and often tastes better than the real thing.
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                      X