No announcement yet.

Question for people who attend(ed) a private/magnet high school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never had any interviews.... but then again, I am the proud product of a series of excellent public schools ( they want to close my highschool, tho )
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
      For we dumb Europeans (that's not all Europeans by the way, just me and er....), can you tell me what a magnet school is?
      Generally a public school that has some sort of selective admissions process and takes advanced students, often focusing in a particular area of study. For instance, I live near an elementary school that's an arts magnet. I go to a high school that's a science and technology magnet.

Comment

Some questions about community service would be good. Ask what they've done and what they've gotten out of it.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

magent schools were established to advance the cause of integration - a school that whites would otherwise shun could draw them if it had a specialty like science or art. Instead of drawing based on neighborhood, do it based on interests. Not to be confused with other selective public schools, many of which are much older, like the HS I attended, Stuyvesant in Manhattan (admission by test, no interview)
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Why wouldn't you consider Stuyvesant a magnet?

Comment

What on earth is a magnet school?
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                A school that attracts the best students (like a magnet)

As for Stuy, I would consider it elite, but all it requires is passing a standardized test.
                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Way to not read any of the thread!

By failing the basic read-the-thread test, you are now ineligible for a magnet school, and will have to make do with an iron filings school instead.

Comment

I didn't even do that well I had to go to a plastic school
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I didn't even do that well I had to go to a plastic school

Pre-fab ? (i.e., before gay liberation ?)
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Plastic as in totally lacking ferromagnetic properties, silly
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Plastic as in totally lacking ferromagnetic properties, silly

Damn, there I was thinking plastic as in plastic arts, doofus.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

He was one of the bad mutants, so they had to put him in a plastic cage so he couldn't use his powers over metals against us.
                            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              He was one of the bad mutants, so they had to put him in a plastic cage so he couldn't use his powers over metals against us.

Aaahhh- I had him pegged as being the equivalent of Unus the Untouchable rather than a Magneto or Dr. Polaris knock-off.

Comment

Pre-fab ? (i.e., before gay liberation ?

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X