No announcement yet.

Explain to me What a "Credit Hour" is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain to me What a "Credit Hour" is.

can you use it in a sentence?
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Full Time (12 to 18 credit hours): $2,461.20

Comment

Ah for school... aka "units"

at my school some classes were 3 units indicating that I was getting credit for 3 hours of class per week

classes with discussions or labs generally were 4 units, 3 hour class, plus 1 hour per week lab or discussion.

I think
        Monkey!!!

Comment

so 12-18 credit hours would mean attending class for 12-18 hours a week?

Comment

Yup. 12-18 credits as "full time" is reasonable: at my school the standard number of credits per semester is 15 (usually five classes of three credits each or some slight variation thereof). Most classes are usually three credit hours, either one hour three days a week or one and a half hours two days a week.

Comment

No, it means you would earn 12-15 "units" towards the total number you need to graduate. Typically you need 120 "Credit Hours" to graduate from a universtiy. The typical class taken and completed with a passing grade earns you 3 "Credit Hours" towards the total 120 Credit hours. More rigorous/longer/laboratory classes usually earn you four credits. The typical course load for a semester is 15 hours or ~5 classes, give or take your major (usually engineers and medical types rack up extra credit hours because their classes require labs/shop time).

And the "credit hours" don't necessarily correspond to class time. I took a ceramics course this semester for 3 credits that had 7 hours of class time a week. The credit hour concept is a bit silly and outdated, but that's the way it's been.
              If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

and then later in life to maintain a degree you may or may not need C.E.U.'s (Continuing Education Units ) usually by attending seminars and workshops.

I usually try picking up 1 couple units every other year..OSHA workshops, training sessions, Engineer workshops,ect.

Gramps
                Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Not Barrow? Hey, did you escape successfully?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    Not Barrow? Hey, did you escape successfully?
                    UR ugh.. what is Barrow? of what art thou referring to?

Gramps
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll
                      UR ugh.. what is Barrow? of what art thou referring to?

Gramps
                      Referring to Space05us of course He's a poor sod who got stuck in Barrow for the longest time. As for Barrow, it's a tiny village in the Arctic Circle, or something like it. Terrible place I imagine.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

a graduate class is worth more than a normal class also in that calculation

Jon Miller
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I beleive that 3 credit horus = 1 hour of a graduate class

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                            so 12-18 credit hours would mean attending class for 12-18 hours a week?
                            yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Referring to Space05us of course He's a poor sod who got stuck in Barrow for the longest time. As for Barrow, it's a tiny village in the Arctic Circle, or something like it. Terrible place I imagine.
                              Space once mentioned how the stench of rotting whale flesh permeates the town throughout the summer ... and then commented about how he imagines the rest of us have bad smells in our towns as well, stenches that we get used to.

Since he's no longer in Barrow, I'm sure he's finding out that's not the case.

Comment

Working...
                              X