An Australian is hostage in Iraq and Australians couldn't give a stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Australian is hostage in Iraq and Australians couldn't give a stuff

This guy, a contractor to the US military, has been held for more than a week now. The government and his family is doing all they can to secure his release but the strange thing is the story is already slipping to page 6.

The public is not unsympathetic, most people hope he's released unharmed, but the other strong feeling is he was a silly bugger for going there. People are hardly invested emotionally in it at all.

I don't even read the stories in the paper about Iraq any more. Sign of the times.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

More and more, Ozzies seem like sensible people.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The government is a different story. They are trying to beat it up, all that "this shows why we are fighting in Iraq" yada yada, "we won't give in to terrorists" blah blah blah. The Prime Minister is positively salivating at the prospect of a hostage execution, which willl show what a strong leader he is - its sickening the way he's carried on. He says he's dreaded this happening etc. You can tell he's getting off on it.

But the public just isn't listening. We all got tax cuts in the budget. That's the big story here right now.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

If they got information from an informant then I'm sure the Coalition would attempt to rescue the hostage but the reality is that paying ransoms is a bad idea. If you do that then you put a price on everyone's head and you will end up with more kidnappings.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I am firmly convinced the KGB had the right policy on kidnappers. In the 1970's it was all the rage in Lebanon to kidnap foreigners for ransom. A few western governments were foolish enough to pay so kidnappings of westerns shot up. Eventually some militant group decided to abduct some Soviet citizens so the KGB went to work finding out everything they could about this group.

The learned who the leaders were, who the foot soldiers were, what towns they came from, who their families were, etc.. Then the KGB nabbed as many of these guy's family members as possible, tossed them in jail, had an ear cut off of each family member, and then mailed the ears to the terrorists.

The Soviet hostages were released without harm and no one bothered to take Soviet hostages again.

Comment

Re: An Australian is hostage in Iraq and Australians couldn't give a stuff

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            This guy, a contractor to the US military, has been held for more than a week now.

A mercenary by any other name still smells as sweet.
            Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: Re: An Australian is hostage in Iraq and Australians couldn't give a stuff

Originally posted by St Leo
              Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              This guy, a contractor to the US military, has been held for more than a week now.

A mercenary by any other name still smells as sweet.
              Mercenaries fight for their living while guys who drive buses or who work at power plants don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                I am firmly convinced the KGB had the right policy on kidnappers. In the 1970's it was all the rage in Lebanon to kidnap foreigners for ransom. A few western governments were foolish enough to pay so kidnappings of westerns shot up. Eventually some militant group decided to abduct some Soviet citizens so the KGB went to work finding out everything they could about this group.

The learned who the leaders were, who the foot soldiers were, what towns they came from, who their families were, etc.. Then the KGB nabbed as many of these guy's family members as possible, tossed them in jail, had an ear cut off of each family member, and then mailed the ears to the terrorists.

The Soviet hostages were released without harm and no one bothered to take Soviet hostages again.
                No need to cut off their ears, otherwise, this plan of action seems great.

I'd simply kidnap them, and make the kids go to normal schools
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

The ears are the best part. It showed they were willing to seriously hurt people the terrorists cared about and that the KGB wasn't joking around. If the hostages get harmed then the next package will have half of your family's heads in a box.

Comment

I agree that this is awesome ( literally), but I'd rather not completely stoop the terrorists' level.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

"I am firmly convinced the KGB had the right policy on kidnappers. In the 1970's it was all the rage in Lebanon to kidnap foreigners for ransom. A few western governments were foolish enough to pay so kidnappings of westerns shot up. Eventually some militant group decided to abduct some Soviet citizens so the KGB went to work finding out everything they could about this group.

The Soviet hostages were released without harm and no one bothered to take Soviet hostages again."

Disgusting! These family members, women and children, brothers, sisters, parents..., are innocent of the crime that they are being persecuted for.

Hacking off these people's ear is a crime in itself. Can you imagine if the US did this in Iraq? Go find the families of suicide bombers and hack them up?

Horrific...

For some silly reason this gets me thinking of how Annikin (sp) Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

Anyway, at one level I'm really revolted by this, at another I see the sense of it. Protect your people. Still, I'm very glad the decision whether to do such a thing is not mine. If it was my decision, I couldn't do the women and children.
                      Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Sounds good, but its real bad PR.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Oh, it would never work in a democracy but the Soviets found an effective way to convey the message that you don't screw with their people.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            Oh, it would never work in a democracy but the Soviets found an effective way to convey the message that you don't screw with their people.
                            They probably didn't want any contenters in screwing their own people.

Comment

Working...
                            X