Coleman v. Galloway -- oil for food scandal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman v. Galloway -- oil for food scandal

Senator Coleman versus Galloway, Member of Parliament. Who will get the better of it?

This should be fun to see. Quite an odd opposing pair to be sure. The newly elected young senator from Minnesota versus the rather grayed firebrand parliamentarian. I'm not quite sure why Coleman invited Galloway to give testimony to his investigative subcommittee, since there's a lot of risk that Galloway will just run out the clock by blathering on and on about the Iraq War. On the other hand, I'm not sure why Galloway is doing this, since the first rule of defense is to keep quiet unless your case is looking grim and you've got nothing to lose.

Coleman is an experienced and rather skilled prosecutor, so I wonder whether he's loaded for bear. Conventional wisdom would suggest that Galloway is at a pretty extreme disadvantage, not knowing what kind of evidence the subcommittee has (in a normal court proceeding, the defense has seen all of the prosecution evidence). I have personally seen very good witnesses destroyed on the stand because of a bolt of lightening from an unexpected direction. All of his dirty underoos for the last 30 years are fair game.

Anyway, get the bag of marshmallows. We've got some potentially classic political theater on tap.

British MP flies to Washington to rebut charges
    By Jimmy Burns in London, John Thornhill in Paris and Holly Yeager in Washington
    Published: May 16 2005 20:41 | Last updated: May 16 2005 20:41

The scene appears set on Tuesday for a showdown between the maverick leftwing British parliamentarian George Galloway and a high-profile US Senate committee.

Mr Galloway flew from London to Washington early on Monday to defend himself against allegations by the Senate's permanent subcommittee on investigations that he received lucrative oil allocations from Saddam Hussein under the United Nations' humanitarian oil-for-food programme.

The committee said last week it had “significant evidence” that Mr Galloway had profited personally from oil vouchers given to him in reward for his outspoken criticism of UN sanctions against Iraq.

But on Monday Mr Galloway once again denied the accusations and vowed to clear his name. “The truth is I have never bought or sold a drop of oil from Iraq, or sold or bought a drop of oil from anybody. If I had, I would be a very rich man and the person who made me rich would already be in the public domain,” he told the BBC.

Mr Galloway, who was expelled from the Labour party in 2004 for his views on Iraq, appears to be relishing the prospect of taking on his accusers.

“I am going to accuse them [the committee] of being involved in a huge diversion from the real issues in Iraq. . . the deaths of more than 100,000 people, the destruction of the country, the opening of the doors to Islamic extremism of the al-Qaeda variety,” Mr Galloway said.

The recently re-elected MP, now representing the anti-war Respect party, has charged the 13-strong Republican-led Senate committee of being part of a US-led conspiracy against the UN and those who opposed the war in Iraq.

“They want to throw people's attention on to Kofi Annan. . . and myself and the government of France.”

Separately Charles Pasqua, France's former interior minister, also denied any involvement in the Iraq oil-for-food scandal and accused US investigators of seeking to use his name to attack France.

He said: “I have never been in Iraq. I have never seen Saddam Hussein and I have never received anything whatsoever from the Iraqis.”

Mr Pasqua, who was interior minister from 1993 to 1995, was named last week by the US Senate committee report as another recipient of Iraqi oil allocations.

Meanwhile Reuters quoted Yuri Fedotov, Russian deputy foreign minister, as saying Russia had no evidence its citizens won oil rights worth millions of dollars from Mr Hussein in return for their support in lifting sanctions. The committee claimed that senior advisers to President Vladimir Putin had received oil allocations from Baghdad in return for Moscow's support in the Security Council.

Mr Coleman has made an investigation of the oil-forfood programme a focus of his work on a panel that has often been a vehicle for senators eager to make a mark. Joseph McCarthy, the Republican who became chairman in 1953, used it as the platform for his notorious anti-communist investigations.
    Last edited by DanS; May 17, 2005, 02:54.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

What is Coleman doing singling out a Member of Parliament? The Brits are the only ones left that politically defend us, this is going to be seen in an Anglo-American alliance sort of context.

Stupid kid, I hope that dude ownz his silly ass.
    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I hope the truth will come out, no matter where Saddam's dirty money trail leads.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
        What is Coleman doing singling out a Member of Parliament? The Brits are the only ones left that politically defend us, this is going to be seen in an Anglo-American alliance sort of context.

Stupid kid, I hope that dude ownz his silly ass.
        I'm just wondering whether British intelligence would provide the goods on Galloway. Coleman might be Labor's proxy on this one, in an ironic twist.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I am really worried about this whole Senate investigation of the Oil for Food Program.

While their findings may have a moral point, I'm afraid it will be forgotten after all that's happened, and it will even have a negative effect on the world scene, for reasons Galloway is going to mention.

It's going to look like the "diversion" that he is accusing it of being.

In the past few days we have heard accusations against Russia, France, and now even the UK.

This looks bad.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

On top of this we also have the British memo about fixing intelligence on Iraq. This story has been out for about 3 weeks now, but is only recenlty getting mainstream coverage:

Comment

No cover ups, let it all into the light. That's the only way to get the corrupt politicians put away. Those *******s are supposed to be working for the people they represent, not Saddam.
              Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                I am really worried about this whole Senate investigation of the Oil for Food Program.

While their findings may have a moral point, I'm afraid it will be forgotten after all that's happened, and it will even have a negative effect on the world scene, for reasons Galloway is going to mention.

It's going to look like the "diversion" that he is accusing it of being.

In the past few days we have heard accusations against Russia, France, and now even the UK.

This looks bad.
                It looked bad way back when the pooh was being thrown even before the launch of military operations.

Why are you so worried that the opponents of GWB may come off as being even more venal? Are prejudices at stake?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The Brits are the only ones left that politically defend us, this is going to be seen in an Anglo-American alliance sort of context.
                  Galloway is a loose cannon (to say the least) from the far left of British politics. He formed his own far left party called 'Respect' after being thrown out of the Labour party for outspoken views on Iraq and Saddam. He stood against and defeated a coloured female Labour MP in our recent election by deliberately targetting a constituency with a huge Muslim demographic and making Iraq almost his sole manifesto. He then used his victory speech to attack Tony Blair over Iraq.

The Prime Minister would probably love to see him go down in flames against Coleman. I doubt the British public as a whole would shed many tears either.

Coleman will need to be on his game though. I have little time for Galloway but he is no idiot and no pushover either.
                  It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

Comment

after reading the article i kinda have the idea (mainly because of how the article is written) that the US is desperatly looking to blame people for something and ofcourse they take there two major political enemies Russia and France...it seems so typical....

but probably i am just seeing conspiricy here...and these guys did a lot wrong...

but still if you know that you have to testify (and are being accussed) it you have a lot of balls to say as loud as they are saying it that you have totally nothing to do with it...because if the have hard evidence you are ever more screwed..
                    Bunnies!
                    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Re: Coleman v. Galloway -- oil for food scandal

Originally posted by DanS
                      Senator Coleman versus Galloway, Member of Parliament. Who will get the better of it?

The Commons is a notoriously hostile and gladiatorial place. It favours the tough-talkers. Even among those, Galloway is a hard case. Does this kid know what he's taking on?

I'd put serious money on Coleman being chewed up and spat out.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

The local campaign he fought for his election win was extremely harsh as well, on both sides.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

If anyone has any idea what my point was going to be can they let me know?
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

I think you were just reinforcing the opinion that Galloway's going to bum him.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yeah, that was it. Thanks.

And I should probably use the word vitriolic at some point too.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X