When will it be over....=(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will it be over....=(

Good Lord, but I hate reading the news anymore. Every day if there's not a new report of "possible increases in terrorist activity," then we get treated to more dead soldiers in Iraq (the troops were coming home right after the new government was elected...uh huh). And if its not that, then it's billions missing from here, TRILLIONS missing from there....

Or...how 'bout the latest offerings from the buffet...the parade of moves to give greater benefits to corporations while sticking it to the rank and file...you know...the people who MADE the friggin' country?

"ownership society" my arse. At least, not in the way they're selling it to the public.

I've always been a moderate. Could see the good points the conservatives brought to the table, and balanced them with more liberal ideas, but any more, conservatism turns my stomach. IF we still HAVE a country when this buffoon's term is up, it'll take years to recover.

-=Vel=-
    /rant off
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Re: When will it be over....=(

Originally posted by Velociryx
    . . . . . but any more, conservatism turns my stomach. IF we still HAVE a country when this buffoon's term is up, it'll take years to recover.

welcome to the moderate liberal club
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It's all Bush's fault.

Democracy is just such a pile of garbage when you can't get your way.

Comment

OMFG VEL IS TEH COMMIE!!!

Last edited by Alex; May 16, 2005, 21:03.
        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          It's all Bush's fault.
          The war in Iraq without an exit strategy
          The social security plan

Yup, Bush has nothing to do with those. Nosirree.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Thanks.

And for the record, Conservatism itself isn't the problem.

There are a lot of good conservative ideas, just as there are a lot of good liberal ones.

The problem is the manner in which the conservative agenda is being pushed, and the intensity with which the current administration seems to want to bring back the society of the 1880's and 90's.

The problem is, we've BEEN down that road before.

It was no good then, and it won't be any good now.

This latest nonsense with letting corporations renig on their benefits promises to retired workers is just the latest example.

Those benefits are a part of an employee's compensation. That is, the price the employer AGREED TO PAY when they hired said workers. Oftentimes, employers point to their benefits as a means of offsetting a lower-than-average salary, thusly: Well Bob, it's true that we don't pay quite as much as the company down the road, but just LOOK at this generous retirement plan!"

Only to pull the rug out from under him after he's put in his twenty or thirty years of service.

And this is progress?

To paraphrase a fellow Apolyton poster who has been long missing from our ranks, "...and that, my friends, sucks goat azz...."

-=Vel=-
            The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

I see you skipped the OP Spiffor. Well, it made me chuckle.

Comment

Alex! Having been in numerous scathing debates with that crowd, I think not (nor would they have me, at this point ), but you make a good point.

It has become popular for ANY dissent from the ranks to be greeted in just that fashion.

Interesting....

-=Vel=-

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                  I see you skipped the OP Spiffor. Well, it made me chuckle.

Vel precisley mentioned these two points in the OP
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

So you still don't get my light stab. I guess I'll save us both the agony and just move on then.

Comment

Thanks.

And for the record, Conservatism itself isn't the problem.

There are a lot of good conservative ideas, just as there are a lot of good liberal ones.

The problem is the manner in which the conservative agenda is being pushed, and the intensity with which the current administration seems to want to bring back the society of the 1880's and 90's.

The problem is, we've BEEN down that road before.

It was no good then, and it won't be any good now.

This latest nonsense with letting corporations renig on their benefits promises to retired workers is just the latest example.

Those benefits are a part of an employee's compensation. That is, the price the employer AGREED TO PAY when they hired said workers. Oftentimes, employers point to their benefits as a means of offsetting a lower-than-average salary, thusly: Well Bob, it's true that we don't pay quite as much as the company down the road, but just LOOK at this generous retirement plan!"

Only to pull the rug out from under him after he's put in his twenty or thirty years of service.

And this is progress?

To paraphrase a fellow Apolyton poster who has been long missing from our ranks, "...and that, my friends, sucks goat azz...."

-=Vel=-

So you still believe that wealthy, elite conservatives have the best interest of the middle class and working class at heart??

that's nice
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

And btw, no...it's not all Bush's fault.

a) He's not nearly intelligent enough to come up with a coherent plan, and

b) He's too easily controlled by the vastly more talented folks around him.

The core issue is...we didn't vote for those folks.

Also...while the courts are allowing giant corporations to shrug off their financial responsibilities, where's Congress' share in all this?

As good Americans, if this is to be the trend, why have they not voted to cast off their pensions, or give themselves a pay cut?

Ahhh. That would strike a bit close to home though.

Can't have that.

Far better that someone else pay.

Right.

As for me...I'm counting the HOURS till this administration has gasped its last.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Mr. Fun: Saying that there are good conservative ideas out there doesn't even fall into the same planetary orbit of what you just said I said...so the short answer would be no.

-=Vel=-

Comment

It has become popular for ANY dissent from the ranks to be greeted in just that fashion.

Interesting....
                            Your posts reek of class warfare, Commie. Don't you know that class warfare doesn't exist?

Comment

Spiff...you rock.

-=Vel=-

Comment

Working...
                              X