how different is today's democracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how different is today's democracy

pericles as narated by thucidides said that he is useless the man who is not interested in koina, politics, the common things of all society.
    yet today in the time of a lockesque and smithesque democracy one is interested only in property.
    and what difference is the roussaue's approach in which the central in democracy is the freedom, not the property.
    and as capitalism and democracy are drifting further apart you got to stop and see.
    after the socialdemocrat solution failled to deliver we have entered a neoliberal hell where political representation is waning in the face of globalized economics and without a kensyan model we will soon be hit with another 1930. only it will be bigger if steps are not taken. too bad the commission has become the trojan horse of neoliberalism. too bad.

Well, women can vote and there aren't any slaves.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Women can vote too now
      Blah

Comment

sure, that's a big improvement.

Comment

Re: how different is today's democracy

hopwever the core of what i wanted to say is this

Originally posted by paiktis22
          after the socialdemocrat solution failled to deliver we have entered a neoliberal hell where political representation is waning in the face of globalized economics and without a kensyan model we will soon be hit with another 1930. only it will be bigger if steps are not taken. too bad the commission has become the trojan horse of neoliberalism. too bad.

at the central target is the social state, it is the only one who raises the costs. free markets cant autoregulate as they have proven in the past so we are returning to a pre 1930 situation, only this time globalized. and our representation politically is insufficient in the face of free flow and inflow of capital.
          and for europeans, the commission has embraced a neoliberal ideology accentuating the danger and the lack of representation.

Comment

There are slaves in africa, but not in democracies...that I'm aware of.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
              There are slaves in africa, but not in democracies...that I'm aware of.
              Not legal slaves, anyway (not including prisoners).
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Right, there's sex slaves and maybe slaves on some farm in Idaho, but not legal, institutionalized slavery.
                Long time member @ Apolyton
                Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

One could say certain people are slaves here too, for example certain illegals that are pressed into prostitution, drug dealing etc. by criminal orgs. But of course that isn't the same as "official" slavery.

Edit: yeah too late
                  Blah

Comment

how different is today's democracy?

The main difference is that more who enjoy the liberties it provides, have no frame of reference for just how could they have it.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

pericles as narated by thucidides said that he is useless the man who is not interested in koina, politics, the common things of all society.

Such an idea cannot be adapted to any government that is bigger than a city-state. Nation States are extremely complex societies, an you'd need huge time to begin knowing all the politics of the place.

The complexity of modern political systems is why we have a political class (of mayors, administrators, parliamentarie, ministers, party members, lobbyists etc.). Simply because no one can cover all the scope of politics even in a full-time job. The ordinary citizen, who has other things to do with his time (especially now that there aren't slaves anymore), cannot have any significant knowledge of politics. Modern democracies don't ask ordinary people for the impossible.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                        The main difference is that more who enjoy the liberties it provides, have no frame of reference for just how could they have it.

Comment

that is common knowledge spiffor. although very debeatable, this aristocratic system
                          the main point though is the neoliberal policies in the age of globalized economics and the inediquacy of the current political system to correctly represent us

but i admit i put the wrong title, it only talks of the introduction

Comment

also the subject of the attacks of this globalized economics on the social state (which raises the work cost -hence the attacks- but of course offers social cohesion) after the failling of the socialdemocratic model. in the core of this attack lies the inability of the political power to influence the global flows of capital and thus represent us. it is outdated one could say

Comment

ithout a kensyan model we will soon be hit with another 1930.

What proof is there for this statement?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X