Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've got a PC running win98, and a Laptop running XP home. help me connect 'em.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've got a PC running win98, and a Laptop running XP home. help me connect 'em.

That's the deal: I've got a win98 PC, and an XP home ( I know I know. I am about to get another OS for it) Laptop.

The PC has got a NIC. I've got an ethernet cable connecting them.

How I make this crap work, and get them to:

-send each other files.
    -share drives
    -**** like that.

Thanks in advance.
    urgh.NSFW

bump
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Az, Win XP has a Home network setup wizard that will do that for you.
      What?

Comment

I can't hep you. I've had many home networks between 98 and XP, and I've never ever figured out why some worked, and why some didn't work.

Praing may be the appropriate course of action. It would probably help to compulsively make sure the cables are well plugged too
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Az, Win XP has a Home network setup wizard that will do that for you.

Didn't work.
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

I can't help you either.

Comment

Praing may be the appropriate course of action.

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Use a crossover cable to connect the two. Share out the folders. Give each one a static IP. It should work.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Make sure that both PCs are in the same workgroup. You should also install file and printer sharing on your w98 PC (it's there by default on WinXP).

You might never be able to get your W98 PC to see the XP one (is it formatted in NTFS?), but the opposite is likely possible - so if you want to transfer files, do it from your XP laptop.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

You might never be able to get your W98 PC to see the XP one (is it formatted in NTFS?), but the opposite is likely possible - so if you want to transfer files, do it from your XP laptop.
                    filesystem doesn't matter...

Az, first as UR said, you need a cross-cable to connect the two directly. You can check the two ends of the cable, the colors of the wires on the one connector should be opposite to those on the other.
                    Then you plugin the cable at both your laptop and your PC. Now you have to assign some IP addresses to both NICs. You can e.g. use: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 and using as subnet 255.255.255.0
                    Make sure that the XP firewall is disabled or file and printer sharing is marked as exception. If you've got another firewall in WIN98 running as well, configure it or disable it.
                    Now typing "\\" in your explorer should open the shared contents of the computer specified by ... I think you can also use the Windows name.

If that doesn't work I think you will have to install NetBEUI in XP Home... I don't know exactly if Win98 still needs it...

Comment

cross cable. forgot that. I'll check in the morning.

thanks.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Who would've thought you need a cable to link up computers

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

filesystem doesn't matter...
                          Don't know if it matters... but assuredly networking 98 and XP is not a given.
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Who would've thought you need a cable to link up computers

not just any cable. It's quite possible that my cable is an ordinary ethernet cable... in such a case, I'll just shell out some money for a goddamn router.
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

What?

Comment

Working...
                              X