Television resolution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television resolution?

What is the equivalent resolution of standard 4:3 American broadcast television?

I just set up my computer for recording tv, and while I want to have the best resolution possible, I don't want to waste space on non-existant detail.

My current setting is 720 x 480, which easily burns three gigs an hour.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Standard is 340x480 if I can recall correctly.

but digital T.Vs are a different story.
    be free

Comment

Okay, thanks!
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Nope, standard is somwhere around ~700 x 500, so your first figure is more likely to be correct.

Comment

640x480
          29.97 frames per second
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

From my understanding, "resolution" isn't exactly the appropriate measure for TV, but broadcast quality is approximately ~640x480. However, what you end up recording will be slightl less than that because of signal degradation.

For the sake of comparison, the resolution of VHS video is about half of broadcast quality.
            "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Talk about consensus...

According to Wikipedia:

The display resolution of a digital television or computer display is the number of pixels (or maximal image resolution) that can be displayed on the screen, usually given as a product of the number of columns (horizontal, "X") is always stated first and the number or rows (vertical, "Y") make up the aspect ratio.

For analog TV sets, the horizontal resolution is related to the bandwidth of the luminance signal, and is stated in "lines", as the largest number of alternating vertical black and white stripes that can be displayed across the width of the picture without them merging together. Sometimes, the lines are counted across a width equal to the height of the picture, rather than across the full width of the picture. This gives rise to two different measures of horizontal resolution, which can lead to confusion. The vertical resolution, as with digital displays, is the number of horizontal lines in the picture.
              To answer your question:

NTSC: 720×480 (3:2, though non-square pixels mean image dimensions are the usual 4:3)

NTSC VHS: 320×482 (approx.)
              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I don't think that Wikipedia article is correct, or at least doesn't tell the whole story. The NTSC that a DVD player uses is indeed 720x480. However, the resolution broadcast is 640x480.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yeah, dan is right, 640x480
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

DanS is correct for NTSC. PAL is more like 720 X 480, which is why european TV's look so much better.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

PAL is 720x576 and NTSC is 720x480 for DVD and also for most standard defintion digital television channels although some channels use lower horizontal resolution. HDTV of course has a higher resolution: 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

Comment

We're not discussing a DVD signal. We're discussing an analog TV signal in the USA. That signal is not 720x480 (or 525 lines, the NTSC "standard") and thats why it looks pixilated after being digitized by some PVR's (such as the MOXI box) at higher resolutions than it is transmitted while digital signals look perfect.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too SpencerH.

Mad Monk said standard, so I instantly thought of that lower resolution (TV resolution IS lower than a monitors lowest resolution (640x480).
                          be free

Comment

and NTSC is 720x480 for DVD and also for most standard defintion digital television channels although some channels use lower horizontal resolution
                            The resolution for broadcast is 640x480 no matter whether it's standard definition digital (ATSC SDTV) or analog (NTSC).

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

The resolution for broadcast is 640x480 no matter whether it's standard definition digital (ATSC SDTV) or analog (NTSC).
                              Again correct. You are my TV god.

With further research, the moxi pixilation problem has to do with how the box (poorly) converts analog signals to digital itself and is not a resolution difference comparing standard analog to standard digital.

Comment

Working...
                              X