anyone ever read the book "fallen angels"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ever read the book "fallen angels"

it's a larry niven yarn. i hadn't even heard of it, but it goes on a premise that an ice age has come, but the green party has won, and banned science fiction. while it seems out landish, if you actually read the book, the sociology works, rather than my own flawed reconstitution of the theories.

what's even scarier, is i can see a similar thing happening.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

The synopsis sounds like a load of raving smear job bs, so I never bothered. It's a Pournelle, which means it's crap.

Based on the reviews:
    Measures to curb greenhouse emissions have caused an ice age with glaciers encroaching on Dakota. The Green government refuses to reverse emissions policies. Abandoned astronauts crash land and have to fend off attacks by Green cannibal fanatics with the help of heroic science fiction fans. They win because Greenpeace is afraid of computers.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

What, was Larry Niven 15 years old when he wrote this? The plot sounds sophomoric.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

No, this was written after his good books. Pournelle -- the co-author -- is a bad influence.

For example, Niven's The Magic Goes Away is a decent book while Burning City, the sequel he wrote with Pournelle, is an atrocious allegorical attack on welfare and public housing. Atlantis sunk because they built housing for the poor, etc, etc.

Comment

even if it is, pournelle is better than pohl. i mean, have you ever read "the years of the city?" and i enjoyed the burning city. when i'm reading for entertainment i tend to not examine the subtext too closely.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I think I tried Pohl once and bounced off a few pages in during a description of alien funeral rites that were rather similar to Western, Christianity-derived ones. It aggravated me for some reason. Long time ago. Dunno.

Comment

Working...
            X