Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A man assualts a woman, she dies of her injuries. Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A man assualts a woman, she dies of her injuries. Murder?

This is a hypthetical. A man assaults a woman, but she does not die immediately. Sometime later, she does die of injuries she sustained in the assault. Is the man guilty of murder or at least of manslaughter?
    Yes. She died because of her injuries.
    90.91%
    No. She died because life support was withdrawn.
    0.00%
    No. Michael Schiavo is not guilty even if he did it.
    9.09%
    Bananas. The girl consented to withdrawal of life support.
    0.00%
    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

manslaughter more likely conviction
    murder u havent proved with such a little story
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

At least manslaughter, probably murder.

Imran, you've been studying this stuff...what do you say?

Comment

This is a hypthetical.

Given the latest news around the forum, I somehow doubt this.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Something you would like to share Ned?
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

to me u cant prove murder
            all we have here is the guy and gal got in fight. she died later of those wounds. Da needs to prove he meant to hurt her and then prove it was intentional
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Define "sometime later".

If it is sortly after, it is murder.

Did she die solely of injuries sustained in the battery or was it something else?

Basically, if she died of injuries related to the assault, even if its been a year or so, it STILL is murder.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

All death from murder is delayed action- why does it make a difference if its a few milliseconds or a couple of weels?
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  Something you would like to share Ned?
                  Yeah, the news is that Mark Furman is investigating and will publish his findings in a new book due out in a month.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    Define "sometime later".

If it is sortly after, it is murder.

Did she die solely of injuries sustained in the battery or was it something else?

Basically, if she died of injuries related to the assault, even if its been a year or so, it STILL is murder.
                    That's what I learned in law school as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                      to me u cant prove murder
                      all we have here is the guy and gal got in fight. she died later of those wounds. Da needs to prove he meant to hurt her and then prove it was intentional
                      Yes, we need some of those facts as well... was it in the heat of passion or did he want to hurt her... what happened?

Oh, and I think we all know Ned's intentions here, silly as they are.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                        Yeah, the news is that Mark Furman is investigating and will publish his findings in a new book due out in a month.
                        You'd think after the OJ trial, he'd learn to keep his head low, nah?

Comment

The delay is irrelevant. If the attack was premeditated its murder. If it was a heat of passion thing its manslaugter-- whether seh dies immediately or 6 months later
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Flubber, the delay isn't TOTALLY irrelevent. Old England law had a rule where if the person died after a year and a day of the incident, the proximate cause wasn't satisfied. Most jurisdictions have done away with the rule, but some states have a restriction (Washington state has a three years and a day rule).

Comment

When I worked for the DA's office in New York back in the 80's, that case would definitely been prosecuted as a murder.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X