Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It is absolutely scary what you can find on google.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audiogalaxy

Comment

I understand that certain types of web cams and networkable security cameras have built in web servers. It turns out a lot of people set these up but did not secure them behind firewalls.

I'm sure the peeping toms are enjoying that one.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Only the imprudent can be found through their nickname (Speaking of which, I made one imprudence, which would allow a stalker to find me - I have just corrected it, but Google will take time to update)
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Well of course. If this gets you scared, I have a Hell to sell you . This is just the beginning what's possible and even easy to do. It's just a matter of who really wants to. And then of course, a lot of people do .
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
            Only the imprudent can be found through their nickname (Speaking of which, I made one imprudence, which would allow a stalker to find me - I have just corrected it, but Google will take time to update)
            archive.org knows all.
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

/me wonders whether or not to phone Oerdin *
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Here's a fun use for google:

I'm the admin for another board and we recently had some trouble with a bunch of trolls coming in and trying to invade our board.

We eventually traced it back to some crappy proboards site, where they were plotting to invade and disrupt our board.

Turned out their main admin was one of the people that signed up for our boards. Since I had access to our database, I got his password on our forums out of there (which was MD5 encrypted). Rather than trying to decrypt his password hash, I simply plugged it into google, where it gave me a site that had decrypted md5 hashes, and one of the decrypted ones was his. I then had his password, which as it turned out, was used on all sorts of email and other private accounts.

Fun stuff, though a bit scary. I suppose the moral of the story is "Don't use password that you use elsewhere when you try and go invade another website"

Comment

There are a lot of people with the same name as me living in the same area. Google searches turn up lots of things about them, but nothing about me.
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

ixnay, you just admitted abusing your admin privilidges?

nasty man!

but I guess the bugger deserved it.
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Hey now, I never said I actually did anything with the info...

Comment

I'm a corporate entity. All the information you may find about me on the web has been constructed and secretly planted there to create the illusion of my identity.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I used to post personal info online but stopped that a long time ago. Too many weirdos.
                          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                            Hey now, I never said I actually did anything with the info...
                            Originally posted by ixnay
                            I then had his password, which as it turned out, was used on all sorts of email and other private accounts.
                            I can only think of one way to determine if the same password was used on email and other private accounts.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                              Fine, show me what you can find with just my username (This name is used by millions of geeks all over the planet). And even with my real name you couldn't find much.

That's true... I was already wondering what you had to do with getting married in the Dominican Republic .
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                                By doing an index search you can also search people's hard drives who don't have fire walls so you can check out what's in "my documents" or "my music". I wouldn't want people reading my personal documents and that's why I have a fire wall but lots of people have always on connections but haven't bothered to set up a firewall.
                                Paranoid bull****. Just for the heck of it, disable your firewall and then try to access you're own pc in a webbrowser (you can do this from your own pc by using 127.0.0.1 as address). You'll only get a 'connection refused' error. The only way to make your harddisk accessible from the Internet is by installing a web server, and all web servers have at least basic security measures and only allow outsiders to access those directories which you expicitly allow to be accessed.

Of course, firewalls have their uses, but stopping Google from 'invading' your PC isn't one of them, that's just not necessary...

However, it *is* true that for many people there's more personal info online than they realise. Basically one should assume that anything you've ever done online can be traced back to you, and sometimes a good portion of your offline life as well (though in my experience this is more true for Americans than for Europeans). If there's anything you don't want the entire world to know (now or in the future), you shouldn't be posting it where the entire world can read it...
                                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                                X