• Show
Clear All

• First USN LCS to called "Freedom".

From Navy Newstand:

Navy's First Littoral Combat Ship Honors Freedom
    Story Number: NNS050510-01
    Release Date: 5/10/2005 7:31:00 AM

Special release from the U.S. Department of Defense

WASHINGTON (NNS) -- Secretary of the Navy Gordon England has selected the name "Freedom" for the Navy’s first Littoral Combat Ship (LCS).

The future USS Freedom acknowledges the enduring foundation of our nation and honors American communities from coast to coast which bear the name Freedom. States having towns named Freedom range from New York to California, and include Indiana, Maine, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

“These new, fast and capable ships will increase the effectiveness of our naval forces and provide us with an ability to operate in the littoral areas of the world where the enemies of freedom seek to operate and hide” England said. “The USS Freedom and her crew will defend the noble cause for which they are named,” he added.

LCS is an innovative combatant designed to counter challenging shallow-water threats in coastal regions, specifically mines, submarines and fast surface craft.

LCS ships will be fast, agile and networked surface combatants and will utilize focused-mission packages that deploy manned and unmanned vehicles to execute a variety of missions.

In May 2004, the Department of Defense awarded both Lockheed Martin and General Dynamics - Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, separate contract options for final system design with options for detail design and construction of up to two LCS ships.

In December 2004, the Department of the Navy awarded Lockheed Martin Corp., Maritime Systems & Sensors, Moorestown, N.J., a contract for detail design and construction of the first LCS. Lockheed Martin’s teammates include Gibbs & Cox, Arlington, Va.; Marinette Marine, Marinette, Wis.; and Bollinger Shipyards, Lockport, La.

A keel laying ceremony is scheduled for June 2 at Marinette Marine, Marinette, Wis.

I think the administration is beating "Freedom" to death. I could have gone for Imperial-sounding names (Terror, Reprisal) or naming them after counties to stick with the general USN naming scheme. But Freedom? c'mon....
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

well i looks like osama has his new target
    Bunnies!
    Welcome to the DBTSverse!
    God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
    'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I am not a big fan of current USN naming conventions.

I thought naming the Cruisers after battlefeilds was a good idea, but honestly I think we should go more with the British style.

Though using "Freedom" could mean that abstracts will be the rule so that leaves alot of good ones open. Currently abstracts are used for mine sweepers for some ungodly reason.
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

USS Slavery
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos
          I am not a big fan of current USN naming conventions.

I thought naming the Cruisers after battlefeilds was a good idea, but honestly I think we should go more with the British style.

Though using "Freedom" could mean that abstracts will be the rule so that leaves alot of good ones open. Currently abstracts are used for mine sweepers for some ungodly reason.
          LCS' are also going to be minesweepers, so there you go.
          Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

No, they're "Littoral Combat Ships". The article implies that they have anti-submarine and anti-small craft capabilities.

I don't recall terrorists using submarines or mines. Will these ships be deployed to every middle eastern fuel station to prevent attack on our ships by suicide bombers? Why wouldn't Coast Gurad cutters do the job just as well?

Iran and Syria have mines and subs.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Syria has subs?

Comment

Not really.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                  No, they're "Littoral Combat Ships". The article implies that they have anti-submarine and anti-small craft capabilities.

I don't recall terrorists using submarines or mines. Will these ships be deployed to every middle eastern fuel station to prevent attack on our ships by suicide bombers? Why wouldn't Coast Gurad cutters do the job just as well?

Iran and Syria have mines and subs.
                  I've read articles before making allusions to them having minewarfare abilities (presumably the umanned water vehicles).

I think the LCS's would be used to patrol places like the gulf and the NAS...as well as counter drug OPS, that sort of thing.

As an aside, this grew out of a idea Rummie came up with called "streetfighter", which would have been a small PC. The Navy's building these things because it's less of a waste than the original "Streetfighter" concept. IIRC, the Navy would rather spend the cash on the DD(x).

And Syria does have subs...but IIRC, they have crap-ass rarely-goes-to-sea "Foxtrots".

Algeria has some Kilos though, and so does Iran.

AND VENEZUELA!!!!!!!!

Comment

but IIRC, they have crap-ass rarely-goes-to-sea "Foxtrots".

as I've said,

Not really.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY!
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Maybe the Administration are just preparing for that symbolic moment when they can sink the USS Freedom once and for all.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

what happens if the 'freedom' is sunk? does that mean we have no chance of gettting freedom in the US and abroad?
                          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

So is the real name the USS French?
                            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Best ship names have always been British.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X