France gets tough on illegal immigration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France gets tough on illegal immigration

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

France to tighten migrant rules
    Villepin said the number of illegal immigrants was high but "contained"
    France's government has announced a raft of new measures designed to tackle illegal immigration.

The new rules include the introduction of visas with biometric information, as well as an increase in expulsions.

"When it comes to illegal immigration, the rule has to be firmness," interior minister Dominique de Villepin told Le Figaro newspaper.

He also said the EU constitution - to be voted on in a referendum on 29 May - would make immigration control easier.

This was because asylum and immigration issues would be decided by majority vote, rather than requiring unanimity among the 25 EU member states, he said.

No amnesty

Mr De Villepin said there were between 200,000 and 400,000 illegal immigrants in France - the first time such figures have been made public.

The measures will also include:

* Tighter border controls
    * An immigration police
    * A central government department to curb illegal workers
    * An end to the automatic recognition of marriages entered into by French nationals abroad, in a bid to tackle forced marriages and marriages of convenience
    * A list of "safe" countries whose nationals will be fast-tracked when applying for asylum.

However, the minister ruled out the possibility that France would follow Spain's recent decision to grant an amnesty to hundreds of thousands of immigrants.

"It is out of the question. Previous mass amnesties in 1981 and 1997 were total failures. Each time it created new pressure and new arrivals," he said, according to the AFP news agency.

The proposals were condemned by the French human rights organisation, La Ligue des Droits de l'Homme.

It told the AFP news agency in a statement that the measures "would solve nothing" and "turn foreigners into scapegoats".
    As a question for Apolyton's Frog population, do you know if this motivated more by economic concerns regarding immigration, or is this out of concern of a large and expanding Islamic minority that isn't assimilating to French culture?
    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

The deep motivation is entirely (I don't use this word often) economic. The particular timing is for the demagogery purposes of the referendum campaign.

I'll explain:
    Most of our current migrant population comes from Subsaharian Africa, in particular from Mali. The Arabic troublemakers are for the most part implemented for one generation or more. The Malians don't pose any grave problem to the society's cohesion (though they have their problems within their community, such as an extremely poor and dangerous treatment of women, which don't jibe with French values)
    The government is desperate for reducing unemployment among the French population, and this is merely a new step in a long series of restrictive immigration policies. In particular, the illegal immigrants are often the lifeblood of illegal jobs (not taxed), which is something every government fights against.
    It has also to do with the EU, since the EU requires countries to take strong steps against illegal immigration.

This measure has been announced before the referendum because most French people agree with restrictive immigration policies, and the government must gather all the support it can get. Also, you'll notice he aludated the EU constitution on the matter
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

But with France's abyssmal birth rate, how does it make sense to cut down on iimmigration? You'll need them to replace the population.

Comment

Because in five years the eastern Europeans will be free to migrate west for jobs and the menial jobs will be filled by Poles, Hugarians, and Rumanians (assuming they get in). If that doesn't work then there's always the hordes of unemplyed Turks the rightists keep talking about once Turkey gets in.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

France's birth rate isn't good (we're slightly below 2 children/woman), but it's the best of the EU, and for the time being, the population still growth even without immigration.

Besides, politicians have the nagging habit of thinking of immediate benefit, instead of thinking about long term consequences. I guess they figure that there will always be a steady flow of people who want in, and that the day the demographic push comes to shove, it'll be easy just to open the doors.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

But with France's abyssmal birth rate
            Actually, it's pretty good. Certainly nothing like Italy. Just behind that of the US.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Actually, it's pretty good. Certainly nothing like Italy. Just behind that of the US.
              AH, that's good. I guess France's culture of surrendering pays off when it comes to French women.

Comment

Babe Thread!!

Comment

Uw la la.

Comment

Face, not so much.

Body, nice.

Comment

Casta

Uber-hot!
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Babe Thread!!
                        This is not a babe thread, this a serious socio-political discussing on changing French demographics and economic policy!

Now back to the topic at hand, ajbera lets have some more pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Verto
                          Face, not so much.

Body, nice.
                          Are you on crack? Her face is cute as hell.

Comment

In case it wasn't painfully obvious, I love this woman.

Comment

Perhaps we have the reason here France has the highest birthrate in the EU?

Comment

Working...
                              X