You think she is ugly ? Well, all you need is to THINK about alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think she is ugly ? Well, all you need is to THINK about alcohol

It seems that just the thought of alcohol is enough to make a women more "hitable", but is this not just one of the tricks AAA are trying to impose on us to prevent us from drinking ?

Should that really be a reason to stop drinking ?

The mere thought of beer or wine can influence your sex drive, according to a study of undergraduates.

Alcohol has long been known to have a number of effects on dating behaviour: some good, some bad. Enough booze can wipe away inhibitions and act as an aphrodisiac, or it can dampen sexual performance. It can even produce what are jokingly called 'beer goggles', which mean you judge people as more attractive when you are drunk.

But scientists now say that whatever effect someone expects from alcohol can be produced by simple exposure to flashes of alcohol-related words on a computer screen.

Great expectations

Ronald Friedman, a psychologist at the University of Missouri, Columbia, and his colleagues tested the idea on 82 male undergraduate students.

The researchers first questioned the men about how they felt alcohol affected their libido, and then presented them with rapidly flashing words and jumbled letters on a computer screen. One group was exposed to cue words that suggested alcohol, including beer, whisky, martini and malt; the other, control group was exposed to words such as smoothie, espresso and ice.

The men then rated 21 female high-school graduation photos on a scale of 1 to 9 in terms of attractiveness. The men who expected alcohol to boost their libido rated photos more favourably after subconsciously viewing alcohol cue words. Those who expected alcohol to reduce their performance actually rated the girls as less attractive after boozy words.

"What is most surprising is that mere expectancy can influence perception," says Markus Denzler, a co-author of the report, based at the International University Bremen, Germany. The findings appear in the May issue of the journal Addiction1.

The men were also asked to rate the girls' intelligence based on their pictures. In this case the flashing words had no impact on the results, so at least beer goggles may not make the world seem smarter than it really is.

Caught unawares

The findings shed some worrying light on our vulnerability to subconscious cues, Friedman says. "These expectations about drugs or alcohol can be activated without your awareness."

Friedman stresses that other studies have shown how simple words can sway our behaviour. One notable study found that after undergraduate students were subconsciously exposed to phrases such as 'old age' and 'bingo' they walked more slowly down hallways2.

Assessing the power of these veiled cues is important, agrees Jack Darkes, a clinical psychologist at the University of South Florida in Tampa who has studied assumptions about alcohol. "It's another link in the chain that supports what a lot of us have been saying for a while," he says. Darkes notes that appreciating the difference between psychological and chemical effects may help those with alcohol addictions to face up to their problem.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Alcohol is a major turn off.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
      Everyone keep that in mind if you ever want a catch like General Ludd.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
        Except that these experts claims that you don't have to drink the stuff - you only have to think about it.

Wonder if it also works in communities where alcohol is banned
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Everyone keep that in mind if you ever want a catch like General Ludd.
          That is one of the wittiest things I have ever heard you say.
          5/5
          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
            Wonder if it also works in communities where alcohol is banned
            If I remember the article well (when it popped in one or two weeks ago), it said that thinking about alcohol triggered the same reaction as ingesting the stuff. I.e, the ones who are aroused when they drink became aroused as they thought of drinking. The ones who were turned off by actual drinking were also turned off by the thought of it.

I guess you need to associate an arousal/turnoff feeling with alcohol for the trick to work at all. In countries where alcohol is banned, it's unlikely you have ever drunk enough of the stuff to associate such feelings to it. Thus I'd imagine the thought of alcohol has no effect on those people.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I was hoping for a picture of an ugly chick in this thread

Comment

I wonder if the same effect would hold true to women. If that were the case, then you and a friend could just go looking for women. You starting talk to her, and then just have your friend the background randomly shouting out names of alcoholic drinks- that should hopefully turn her on to you.
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

she'll probably think you are an alcoholic if you do that.

Comment

well you obviously you have to pretend that your friend who is calling out the names of alcoholic drinks isn't with you
                    "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Brilliant!
                      Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                      Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                      *****Citizen of the Hive****
                      "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

drunk and all things associated with it are more a state of mind than anything else

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          I was hoping for a picture of an ugly chick in this thread
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

That's not ugly - just dirty
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

dirty chicks
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X