Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, how is this legal? (tinfoil hat thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Not really. It allows the Secretary to repeal those laws conflicting with the law Congress just passed. Instead of going back to Congress every little time the barrier conflicts a different law, the Secretary has the right to decide when that conflict happens, and in that case, Congress' blanket repeal applies.

It is very limited.
    Not even that.

It allows SECDHS to declare one-off, case by case exemptions to NEPA and related laws based on a finding that complying with the law would adversely impact homeland security. There is already a national security exemption most Federal laws, including NEPA, but military bases do NEPA and related processing for their planned projects most of the time. Despite having the authority to bypass it, it is rarely used. DHS, as a new agency, doesn't yet have that authority.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Yeah, they've royally screwed the Temecula Valley. I remember when my sister first bought out there 6-7 years ago and there was hardly anything in the whole valley other then farm fields, vineyards, and horse ranches. To bad the only thing grow there now is subdivisions.

I'm not sure what the Murphy Canyon Project but I'm guessing you're talking about the Navy's new housing project in Tierra Santa that got to exist outside of the regional planning commissions guidelines. They're squeezing in almost 1000 homes into a tiny area and aren't upgrading any of the streets or schools to accomidate the extra traffic or expense. All those expenses are just being dumped on to the city by the Navy.
      I'm talking about the older commercial project (now occupied by WalMart, Frys, PetSmart and whatever else is down there now) just west of 15 between the 8 and Aero drive. Originally, it was planned to be a major mall area to eventually take the place of Fashion Valley, before it went multi-level (which it did partly because of the forced reconfiguration of Murphy Canyon Gateway, since the Mission Valley-Fashion Valley anchor tenants were all looking to bail to a new center).

The problem was that drainage alterations and other civil engineering impacts were viewed on a site by site basis compared with the then existing (mininmal) development, not compared with the total set of alterations prospectively imposed by all proposed developments. Then some people fall out, some get financed and build earlier, and the city and developers are chasing their tails in circles trying to keep up with it. The problem got real apparent in the '93 rains, when a sinkhole and washouts developed west of 15 in that area due to inadequate drainage and erosion control on recently completed developments.

Almost ten years of delays after the original estimated completion date, what was supposed to be the high-end shopping center in SD gets cut to about a quarter its original planned size and ends up hosting a Wal-Mart.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

What's wrong with tree-hugging? I happen to like trees, and I don't see why paranoid American idiots should be allowed to hurt them just to build an oversized penisfence.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Working...
        X