No announcement yet.

Welcome to Georgia, George

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The demography of Abkhazia has undergone major changes since the 1990s. At the time of the last Soviet census in 1989, it had a population of about 500,000, of whom 48% were Georgians (principally Mingrels) and only 17% of whom were Abkhazians.

In 1993, a major war led to Abkhazia breaking away from Georgia, during which virtually the entire Georgian population - about 250,000 people - were displaced in what was alleged to be a campaign of ethnic cleansing. The conflict has not yet been resolved, and Abkhazia's much-reduced population is now largely ethnically Abkhazian."

Yet the people who support this have the gall, the chutzpah, to complain about discrimination in Latvia.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

lotm, I'd be for Chechen indpendence, if they'd cease attacking their neighbors.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        lotm, I'd be for Chechen indpendence, if they'd cease attacking their neighbors.
        The govt of Chechnya attacked its neighbors ONCE. Since then there has not been an independent govt of Chechnya. This POV would justify the abolition of Iraqi independence. However a country does not forfeit its right to independence by aggression. In the case of Chechnya the justification for Russian control is that Chechnya was never legitimately independent. Sovereignty trumps self-determination. Thats the basis of Russias claim, and the basis of Georgia's claim. Georgia however has been negotiating with secessionists in Abkazia and South Ossetia, while Russia hunts down and kills secessionists.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
          Its not clear to me that those parties really stand for Leninist ideology though. Are they for renationalizing the Russian economy, for cutting it off from world trade (which is Imperial exploitation) Or are they just for funding certain pensions while expressing nostalgia for the USSR?
          I'm not sure the Party of Kruschev and Brezhnev stood for Leninist ideology either . The Communist Parties believe in renationalization. Not sure if they want to cut off the USSR from world trade, but I was under the impression that that was more of a Stalinist goal. I thought that Lenin was open to trade with other countries at some point, when the NEP was fully established.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well, the Chechen secessionists also blew up a bunch of Russian apartments (unless we accept the conspiracy theory that the Russians did it), as well as invaded Daghestan in Russia.

I'm very ambivalent, because my inclination is to support Chechen independence, but that would mean handing the Chechen people back over to the Whabbi-ists, who had forced themselves on the Chechen people in the first place.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I think what the Communists want is simply a return to being the bosses, and don't really give a damn what their ideology is.

Comment

Some welcome
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  I think what the Communists want is simply a return to being the bosses, and don't really give a damn what their ideology is.
                  Che, how could the Russian commies believe in the "true" communism you hippie types in the West believe in when they are the legacy party of the USSR, which you commies in the West decry as something other than a "true" communist state. But, given your post, I think you agree that these orthodox communists in Russia are not "real" communists.
                  http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Working...
                  X