Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, you're a hypocrite in real life, and you make up for it online by being a jerk? It seems to me that you're the one who doesn't understand what social skills are.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
      I was talking to JohnT, not you.
      My mistake.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

It's a place where you say what's on your mind, for better or for worse. You learn a lot more this way, and there's less diplomacy involved.
        It's too bad that what is on your mind is put-downs and personal insults. It seems, as what Spiffor suggests, that you are saying is that deep down you really are a jerk, it's just that online you don't supress it with formality and pleasantry like you do IRL.
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          So, you're a hypocrite in real life, and you make up for it online by being a jerk? It seems to me that you're the one who doesn't understand what social skills are.
          How am I a hypocrite in real life? I don't think you're applying the term correctly.

I speak my mind online. Sometimes that makes me a jerk, but that's how it is.

I don't see how that plays into understanding what social skills are at all.

Talk to me IRL on a personal level or professional level and you will receive a different style of conversation and treatment. That's because I have the social skills.

Whether I choose to use the "diplomacy" aspect of it online or not doesn't taint my understanding of them.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's too bad that what is on your mind is put-downs and personal insults. It seems, as what Spiffor suggests, that you are saying is that deep down you really are a jerk, it's just that online you don't supress it with formality and pleasantry like you do IRL.
            You make it sound like all I do is insult people.

I insult people I have a history with, because I really don't like them -- usually they cast the first stone. I hold a grudge.

JohnT is on my list, for instance.

Comment

I don't think it's really that. To me, it seems more like Asher confuses pleasantries and hypocrisy. On the forum, he feels allowed to speak his mind, and he makes no effort to be pleasant while doing so, because he associates being pleasant with lying. In order to speak his mind, he seems to make an effort at being as much of a jerk as he can (thus putting down everybody who disagrees).

If he didn't have such a negative attitude toward pleasantries, maybe his posting style would be very different.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Then again, I don't come to Poly looking for acceptance like other people.

If I was, I'd air my dirty laundry about my daddy issues and about my kids like other people here do.
                You don't remember how you used to brag about your pops accomplishments and possessions as if they were your own? That was way back when you were Glonk, but it was still you. Two sides of the same coin and all that...

And what about this gem:

For as long as I can remember, I've always had some intense anxiety in social situations or anticipation of social situations. I know it's normal to have it to some degree, but I think it went beyond shyness.

For the past couple of years the major effects of this have been treated as a sideeffect from some other medication I was on, only I'm not on medication these days. So I don't get that benefit anymore.

So now, I've essentially become anti-social once again to some extreme points.

I don't, ever, want to call anyone on the phone. I haven't done this in a LONG time and I always get someone else to call if possible. I also instantly dread when the phone rings because I think someone might want to talk to me.

At school I listen to music almost all the time when I'm not in a lecture so as to make me harder to approach to talk to. It's especially bad when I see someone I know that might try to strike up a conversation at a bus stop or something. I'll just avoid eye contact and hope that they don't come talk to me. And if they do come talk to me, I can't wait till it's overwith and it feels like punishment.

When my friends ask me to go out and do something I'll always think up some excuse and not go anywhere.

Even online in instant messaging, I'll almost NEVER message someone first. Almost always, they have to be the one to message me if we're going to talk. I always feel like I'm imposing or something if I message someone. After I'm messaged though, I'm usually okay. And on online forums too, I have no problems there...or with family in person either.

So, how can I get back a normal life? I figure on the internet on a forum like this there'll be other people who have been through or are going through this too, so it doesn't hurt I guess...

You can't even ask for help without insulting everybody here!

And let's not forget this one:

JohnT: Businessman and father extraordinaire, you're going to raise wonderful children.

Awwww. I didn't think you noticed. Oh, wait: You did.

Comment

IIRC, you said before you were bullied frequently in school until you read some books on martial arts, beat up some of the people who were bullying you, and didn't recieve any bullying since then.
                  Naw, that wasn't me. Sorry.

Comment

Talk to me IRL on a personal level or professional level and you will receive a different style of conversation and treatment. That's because I have the social skills.
                    Social skills isn't about lying in order to be accepted (what you seemed to do at the restaurant). If you believe that pleasantries = compromising your ideals, then either you're an extremist in absolutely everything, or you haven't understood what a pleasantry is.

Comment

Wow, how petty can some people get
                      Attached Files
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I don't think it's really that. To me, it seems more like Asher confuses pleasantries and hypocrisy. On the forum, he feels allowed to speak his mind, and he makes no effort to be pleasant while doing so, because he associates being pleasant with lying. In order to speak his mind, he seems to make an effort at being as much of a jerk as he can (thus putting down everybody who disagrees).

If he didn't have such a negative attitude toward pleasantries, maybe his posting style would be very different.
                        Pleasantries are smalltalk, smalltalk is all false to begin with.

"My, what a nice tie you have on. It really brings out your eyes"

Comment

Asher, I don't know if you realize it, but you just basically said "deep down inside I am an *******, in real life I fake being pleasant with people, but online since I can't get punched I reveal my inner self."
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Pleasantries are smalltalk, smalltalk is all false to begin with.

"My, what a nice tie you have on. It really brings out your eyes"
                            you haven't understood what a pleasantry is.

Comment

In real life I need to be the most pleasant, helpful, sympathetic person on the phone with customers.

You work at a help desk?

I thought you were doing programming or something equally techie?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                                You don't remember how you used to brag about your pops accomplishments and possessions as if they were your own? That was way back when you were Glonk, but it was still you. Two sides of the same coin and all that...
                                They are my own.

You can't even ask for help without insulting everybody here!
                                That wasn't intended to be an insult. It should be a pretty obvious fact that online forums will have a high percentage of people with anxiety disorder, asperger's, etc.

I'm sorry that you can't see words past the surface.

And let's not forget this one:

JohnT: Businessman and father extraordinaire, you're going to raise wonderful children.

Awwww. I didn't think you noticed. Oh, wait: You did.
                                I don't get it -- what is your point...?

I say nice things about you, and you got upset? Or you are upset?

Comment

Working...
                                X