• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military vests fail to stop 9mm rounds, Brig. Gen. blames media for recall

Um, okay.

Armor issued despite warnings
    By Christian Lowe, Marine Corps Times
    The Marine Corps issued to nearly 10,000 troops body armor that military ballistic experts had urged the Marines to reject after tests revealed life-threatening flaws in the vests, an eight-month investigation by Marine Corps Times has found.

In all, the Marines bought about 19,000 Interceptor outer tactical vests from Pompano Beach, Fla.-based Point Blank Body Armor. According to a government memo, the vests failed tests because of "multiple complete penetrations" of 9mm pistol rounds and other ballistics or quality-assurance tests.

After being questioned about the safety flaws for this story, the Marines ordered the recall of 5,277 Interceptor vests on Wednesday. Many of the vests were issued to Marines in Iraq.

The Marines have not said what they intend to do with more than 4,000 other vests still in use or about 10,000 in storage.

Government ballistics expert James MacKiewicz, in a memorandum rejecting two lots of vests on July 19, 2004, said his office "has little confidence in the performance" of the body armor.

The documents were obtained through the Freedom of Information Act.

MacKiewicz, who works at the Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Mass., is responsible for verifying that the vests meets protective requirements.

Instead of heeding MacKiewicz' warning, the Marine program manager for the vests, Lt. Col. Gabriel Patricio, and Point Blank's chief operating officer, Sandra Hatfield, signed waivers that allowed the Marines to buy and distribute the vests.

The Marine Corps questioned the accuracy of the initial tests. It pulled samples from some of the challenged lots and had them tested at a private lab.

Patricio said the second tests showed that the vests meet safety standards and do not put Marines at increased risk of injury.

"We see no reason to be concerned that the quality has deteriorated or that the performance has deteriorated in any fashion," Hatfield said last month.

Brig. Gen. William Catto, head of Marine Corps Systems Command, told USA TODAY on Sunday that there is no evidence to indicate problems with the vests in use. But Catto said the Marines have no choice but to recall them because the questions prompted by media coverage will "cause doubts in the minds of our guys" using the vests.

Contributing: Matthew Cox and Dave Moniz. Marine Corps Times is an independent newspaper owned by Gannett.
    Pay no attention to that stinging pain in your chest and the pool of blood you're standing in...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

And before someone tries defending this, yes I read the article and the part about the second set of tests performed...

...at an unspecified "private" lab.

Given this second set of tests was performed only after concerns were aired about the safety of these vests, I find this attempt to clear them dubious at best.

Comment

Another outrage!
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

What is most rediculous to me is the notion that these vests are ok despite not being able to stop 9mm bullets. Sure, Iraqi insurgents probably aren't packing 9mms... they're packing AK47s and whatnot. If these vests can't stop 9mm bullets consistently (which the Iraqis pretty much aren't shooting anyway), why the bloody Hell should I be confident in their ability to protect our troops from the weapons the insurgents do use on a daily basis?

Dollars to doughnuts this is a case of lowest bidder winning the contract on our armed forces' lives.

Comment

If these vests can't stop 9mm bullets consistently (which the Iraqis pretty much aren't shooting anyway), why the bloody Hell should I be confident in their ability to protect our troops from the weapons the insurgents do use on a daily basis?

Why do you think the vests were designed to stop AK-47 rounds? Most basic bulletproof vests can't; that's what the vests with ceramic inserts were designed for.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Apparently they weren't designed to stop anything...
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

But they'll keep the troops warm
                Blah

Comment

I'm guessing they were designed to stop handgun bullets like most basic bulletproof vests, which is why they were testing them with a 9mm.

edit: Yep, the vest is only designed to stop fragments and 9mm bullets...

But they'll keep the troops warm

That puts us one ahead of the Germans, doesn't it?
                  Last edited by Drake Tungsten; May 9, 2005, 10:13.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yeah, it's proof that people can learn from history.
                    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

I'm guessing they were designed to stop handgun bullets like most basic bulletproof vests, which is why they were testing them with a 9mm.
                      I'm guessing the military had a cozy relationship with whoever 'designed' the vests and doesn't want to offend them with bad PR.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Dont go to war if you dont want trops killed. And if you do, dodge and hide instead of trying to save yourself with a bullet proof coat. Anything to try and make like if soldiers were safe...
                        They should start make car-proof suits, like the guy that invented that bear-proof suit.
                        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
                        X