Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kuci has spent the past 24 hours building a robot...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atahualpa
    Kuci

Pictures
    *wakes up after 14 hours of sleep*

My friends had the cameras but I shall demand copies!

This was for a robot competition called BotBall. A picture of the board is attached at the bottom. (The robots on it aren't ours.) The object was to score points, by various means. You get 1 point for every "trash" (the little black foam cylinders) or "recycleable" (the water bottles) in your dump (the flat area in the lower right). You get 5 points for every trash you get in the trash bin (the bin with the green paper behind it) and 10 points for every recycleable in the recycle bin (the bin next to the trash bin). You get 10 points for each orange ball on your side (in the flat area) and 30 points if you get it in your "yard" (the little blocked off protrusion on the left of your side). You get 30 points for having BotGuy (the plush toy) on your side and 50 for getting him in your yard. The bar separating your side from the middle area is raised sometime between 30 and 35 seconds unless it will disturb one of the robots (e.g. if you have your robot put a little piece of itself over the bar in that time period, they won't raise it).

We had two robots, one (later named DrunkBot) that swept all the trash and recycleables into the dump and then (attempted to) pick them up and put them in the correct bins. This last part was actually coded hastily in the car on the way to the competition. The first part worked pretty consistently (except when low power caused one of the motors to fail, making our robot careen to the right or left). The second part didn't work at all. This is why we called it DrunkBot. The claw simply didn't open unless it got force open by the robot driving itself. It would run itself into the trash, try to lift of the arm, and then back up and try to drop the trash (that it had not picked up) into the receptacle (again running into the trash). However, this DID result in many of the trash getting flipped into the bin, giving us a lot of accidental points. In fact, the first time this happen, the announcer guy said something like "and the robot has gotten one of the trash into the bin" and I went "That's not supposed to happen!" The second robot, KnockBot, waited 20 seconds, then moved straight forward (it had one drive motor hooked up to two treads) and used a very, very torqued-up motor to raise an arm sideways, which knocked off the orange ball.

We ended up making it to the quarter-finals (top twelve out of I think sixty or seventy) and then we lost It was hilarious though because all the other robots that got that far were really awesome looking, and you just watched them work perfectly and smoothly, and then you look at ours and it was WTF is that thing doing?

Here's the board:
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      Plot summary: It's the future and there are almost no women. The women that there are all charge a fortune for sex. Men have sex robots.

Man mistreats his classic (read they don't make 'em like that any more) Cherry 2000 sex robot (Pamela Gidley) and it blows up (while he's fukcing it, no less). He saves its memory chip and realizes that he'll have to go out into the wild badlands to the sex robot storage hut to find another Cherry 2000.

Man hires Melanie Griffith to help him. Extremely low budget violence follows. Man finds new sex robot – man doesn't realize that he should be screwing Melanie Griffith instead of the robot.

Melanie Griffith tells him he should be screwing her instead of the robot. He fiinally gets it. They live happily ever after.
      No there were plenty of women, but the men of the future wanted a submissive sex machine instead of a real women. However, you got the rest of it right, but it has been a long time since the '80's, so maybe I got it wrong.

BTW Kuci, I always wondered who does these types of competitions, now I know.
      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

All hail to DrunkBot

Comment

Damnit, Kuci, next time add boobs or something to the damn 'bot.
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Gimme the specs and code !

But more seriously , I'm interested in this topic ( robotics ) , so any help in pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated .

Comment

This reminds me of Core Wars.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
              X