Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer sound technical question - can you play mp3s during a game with sound FX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer sound technical question - can you play mp3s during a game with sound FX

Originally posted by Az
    Is there anyway to play mp3s and gamesounds at the same time?

One can, IIRC, play CD music and game music at the same time, but when you launch winamp, for example, during a game, it will show you a small error message about the the device being occupied. ( this is because CD music is played through a different... umm.. thingee.

So, can you somehow bypass that? ( without ripping your MP3s on CDs, of course)
    Uh...depends on the game. I can often play mp3s and games with sound at the same time.

Might also depend on your sound card (how many something or others it has)
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oh, to answer the original question, yes you can play mp3s at the same time as a game, or at least it should be possible depending on how many channels the game is using. Most modern sound cards support multiple sound channels with average being around 16 channels.

What this means is you could simultaineously play as many mp3s as there are sound channels on your sound card. It's would sound awful though.
      There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

channels. that's the word I was looking for
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Qilue, how the hell do I check this stuff?
          urgh.NSFW

Comment

What kind of sound card do you have?
            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

The soundcard on my machine bought back in 1998 could not do it - it's possible yours can't either. All I know is I remember being flabbergasted when one of the truths of my universe (only one source of sound at a time may be heard) was shattered when I bought a new computer.
              Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

some sort of ancient bull****.

Creative Vibra 128
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

That card should be able to do it. The problem might be either Winamp or the game demanding sole use of the sound card.

Have you tried using windows media player? While it doesn't have all of winamp's bells and whistles, it also tends to be more polite about how much of your computer's resources to use.

Comment

t3h hilarity: it supposedly plays, but all I hear is the annoying drums of civ2.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

So winamp was the culprit. The volume issue I'm not sure on how to fix though. Is the Civ2 drums a midi file or a wav file?

Comment

Maybe I should've made myself clearer. I don't hear anything. It just doesn't give an error message, and the progress thingee moves.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

That means it's working but the sound is muted somehow.

Comment

Hold on, Vibra? Isn't that integrated on motherboard?
                            I have SB128PCI, the same chip, but on it's own card... I've had winamp give me similar errors for no apparent reason, they have usually disappeared after reboot.

Be sure to get latest drivers for it, if that isn't obvious.
                            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Hold on, Vibra? Isn't that integrated on motherboard?

No.

Have they been updating the drivers for this card, actually? That would come as quite the surprise.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

New drivers, same error.

Actually with DirectSound output it says " bad directsound driver" or somesuch.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X