Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why the world's "freeest" economies aren't so free.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some did and some didn't. The UK pushed free trade every strongly from 1850 on ward and did have completely free trade with 1/4 of the world and 1/3 of the population. Even outside countries like the US exported huge amounts of both finished goods and raw materials to the British Empire so that country did successfully industrialize while using a free trade model. The US had huge tarrifs as did Japan and France.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Some did and some didn't. The UK pushed free trade every strongly from 1850
      Yes... 1850, when their empire had already been established and they ruled over 1/3 of the world. World powers only dip into free trade when they have sufficiently stacked the odds in their favour.
      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Japan actually had low tariffs, because US forced them down with battleships

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          Some did and some didn't. The UK pushed free trade every strongly from 1850 on ward and did have completely free trade with 1/4 of the world and 1/3 of the population. Even outside countries like the US exported huge amounts of both finished goods and raw materials to the British Empire so that country did successfully industrialize while using a free trade model. The US had huge tarrifs as did Japan and France.
          The UK had tariffs. They pushed for free trade on specific goods that gave them an advantage.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

If you want exmples of economies that have been consistently the most free throughout history, look to what is now the third world.
            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
            X