US has rotated more than 1 million troops though Iraq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US has rotated more than 1 million troops though Iraq

I saw this in a media report. Its a big number and the conflict is only a couple of years old.

How long can the US military go on replacing its garrison with a volunteer force?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

I doubt that number since many troops are on thier second or third rotation. That means some people are being counted two or three times.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

i thought the US was going to withdraw soon? because the elections were held and stuff?
      Bunnies!
      Welcome to the DBTSverse!
      God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
      'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Don't hold your breath. They'll be there 10 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I doubt that number since many troops are on thier second or third rotation. That means some people are being counted two or three times.
          but isn't that the point? - the same guys having to go back over and over
          Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

The thread title said 1 million troops so I believe that was the original point. The real number is likely 500,000 or less.

Comment

nope 1 million rotations

Comment

Don't hold your breath. They'll be there 10 years from now.

yes 10 years will be to long to hold my breath i smoke you know
                Bunnies!
                Welcome to the DBTSverse!
                God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
                'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

Well that's the point you are both making isn't it?

AH the thread title says 1m troops but what you mean is 1m rotations.

As an aside that's less than 1 rotation per minute so surely the US needs to speed it up 33-fold if it's message there is going to be understood
                  19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                    nope 1 million rotations
                    1 million rotations != 1 million troops. As Oerdin said, a good chunk of those soldiers have been there before. A half million is probably a good number of soldiers.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The US is using iraq as training zone because they plan something bigger

Comment

So you better behave.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Behave like in "bombing other countries"... or behave like in NOT bombing other countries.

Comment

Do as we say, not as we do.

Comment

Well, what are the other ways of going about staffing the warzone? Would you not rotate these guys, even though the ultimate timeframe is uncertain?
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X