Share your mad iPod skillz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your mad iPod skillz

Of course, non-iPod folks are welcomed to chime in. I have a 4 GB Mini iPod. I filled it all up on the first day. Here's a nice trick I found on the Smart Playlists site

(1) you create a manual playlist specifically for your iPod. You can call it iPod, for example. Basically, you put all the music you want to put on your iPod on this playlist. Its real easy to maintain and making sure the playlist doesn't go beyond 4 GB (3.7 GB, to be more precise) is piece of cake.

(2) You create a bunch of smart playlists based on that playlist. For example, the rock songs you listen the most; your top rated rock songs; your top rated alternative rock songs... The possibilities are endless with smart playlists.

(3) You set iTunes to auto-sync exclusively with these playlists.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

40 gb capacity on my Zen. Haven't filled it just yet. Will run out of space on my actual computer first.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

4 GB is plenty of room for my needs. So how are those Etymotics? I'm still stuck with my stock Apple earbuds. God do they suck...
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Sent the Etymotics back. If you have to jam something that far into your ear to get a passable sound (and it wasn't a great sound), it ain't good for you.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That sucks.

Comment

I do your trick with my flashpod. I use the autofill to select from whichever one I feel like on the day.

I use multiple genres too.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              Sent the Etymotics back. If you have to jam something that far into your ear to get a passable sound (and it wasn't a great sound), it ain't good for you.
              The problem I have with my pair is the damn things keep sliding out, despite my small stature ergo small ears. Even without the slightest trace of earwax I still have to scrub with a kleenex before jamming the buds into my ear canals. If they had textured foam coverings instead of the completely smooth rubber I'd be able to use them more effectively.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                I do your trick with my flashpod. I use the autofill to select from whichever one I feel like on the day.

I use multiple genres too.
                I tend to Autofill and then play in order (which is random enough for me), but if I am shuffling and don't recgonize a song, I just go back to normal and find the next song I know in order.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I tend to Autofill and then play in order (which is random enough for me), but if I am shuffling and don't recgonize a song, I just go back to normal and find the next song I know in order.

10 bucks says that Frank Sinatra has never followed Slayer in your Shuffling career.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Just this evening I went from Britney Spears - Anticipating to Metallica - Enter Sandman to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons - Big Girls Don't Cry to Chopin - Piano Sonato No. 2 one right after the other. I for one have broad enough musical tastes that I wouldn't be bothered, put off by, or even really notice such a drastic change in genres as presented by my mp3 player (brand spanking new black 5gb Zen Micro ) while I'm working.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I actually like every single thing you mentioned, DRose.
                      "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Another nifty trick. Suppose a song is problematic (because I want to remove it from my iPod, or because there's a problem with its id tag). In that case, I give it a 1 star rating. All songs with a 1 star rating go straight to my "problematic song" smart playlist. That way, I don't forget about the problematic songs.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          10 bucks says that Frank Sinatra has never followed Slayer in your Shuffling career.
                          Aw man, I was hoping you'd recognize my post.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Aw man, I was hoping you'd recognize my post.

I just didn't believe it. The Zen has Shuffle anyway – they all do, don't they?
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Yes, before the iPod ever did.

Comment

Working...
                              X