Texas Legislators consider ban on sexy cheerleaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Legislators consider ban on sexy cheerleaders

Its this kind of wowserism that will undo the religious right in the end imo.

Texas considers ban on sexy cheerleaders
    07:00 AEST Wed May 4 2005
    AFP
    AUSTIN, Texas (AFP) - Legislators in Texas, famed for its Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders, on Tuesday considered legislation to ban 'sexually suggestive' performances in schools.

The law would ban dance routines by school cheerleaders at sports events that one politician said was like something out of a strip club.

Exposed midriffs and ever shorter shorts and skirts have particularly outraged some legislators.

"Some of them are just downright vulgar, something you would see at an adult club or something," said Joe Deshotel, a Democratic member of the Texas House of Representatives, which is considering the bill. "The problem is in the eye of the beholder, I guess."

One of the co-authors of the bill, Republican Corbin Van Arsdale, said many parents want restrictions because they go to Friday night games to see young men clashing on the football field, not girls shaking their behinds on the sidelines.

"You've got children seeing things that their parents would rather them not see," said Van Arsdale.

But the proposed ban is not popular with the National Cheerleaders Association or the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). The bill would allow the Texas Education Agency to ban routines deemed vulgar or excessive.

"Without a specific definition of what these kids cannot perform, the sky is the limit," the ACLU warned. "Any complaintant can construe any dance step, cheer or movement of any sort as sexually suggestive."

The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders began captivating audiences with their sexy drill team routines, knee-high white boots and low-cut tops, in the 1970s.

Cheerleaders have since become a fixture of football games across the United States from high school to professional teams.

In Texas, the obsession came into violent focus in 1991, when Wanda Holloway, nicknamed the "pompom mom", was accused of trying to murder the mother of her daughter's cheerleading rival.

Supporters of the legislation say those kinds of excesses show why change is necessary. They want to take Texas back to simpler days, when drill teams performed traditional routines, wore patriotic clothing and longer skirts.

"I think we should look at going back to the old traditions, to the art of dance," said Representative Tommy Merritt, a Republican. "It doesn't have to be all bumpin' and grindin'," he declared.
    Is this Iran or what?

I don't see what the problem is myself
    Attached Files
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

thousands of men turn out to protest but have to hide their faces
    Attached Files
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Ah, reactionaries.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Texas is like Saudi Arabia except they have fat rednecks instead of fat Saudi oil tycoons. I’m so glad I left.

Comment

Re: Texas Legislators consider ban on sexy cheerleaders

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

I don't see what the problem is myself
          Too much clothing
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

One of the co-authors of the bill, Republican Corbin Van Arsdale...

Comment

Funny article. The cheerleaders were a fixture of football games more than a half century before the 70s and had nothing to do with the Dallas Cowboys, on the other hand.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That first picture posted is not sexy in any form, way or manner. Yikes.

Comment

she's inflatable

Comment

She's a product of the Wonderbra.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                      She's a product of the Wonderbra.
                      and what a wonderful product that is

probably the next thing they'll be banning

Comment

This in't gonna fly. Texas high school football and cheerleading are as important as Jesus. All that's gonna happen is this guy's gonna lose his seat.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Banning cheerleading

Cheerleading perpetuates unhealthy gender roles and encourages a flawed ideal of beauty. It also tends to divide along the lines of sex.

And if you find cheerleaders attractive, ask your significant other to dress up as one instead of expecting the world to supply you with voyeuristic thrills.
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Wowsers

AH for using one of my favourite Australasian terms
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Those politicians sure know a lot about strip clubs.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X