What was that? (Japan questions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bosh

Osaka was very nice, but I really appreciate Seoul. Everything's open insanely late (24 hour minimarts everywhere and bars generally don't close until the last customers stop buying) and I can find most anything I want (at least as much as I could in Osaka, for example the Hyundai Department store right down the street has an excellent selection of imported wine and cheese) but the day to day stuff is very cheap. I can get a damn good beef shabu shabu lunch for $5, for example, and I'm in the expensive bit of Seoul.
    I keep meaning to get up to Seoul, sounds like a great place. Maybe in the fall, that or Japan. I thought Tokyo was amazing.

The odd thing that I noticed about Japan is that Tokyo is extremely clean, and yet there are hardly any garbage cans on the streets. What do people do with their litter? Take it home?

I know what you mean about things staying open late. Same with Hong Kong.
    Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
      Not sure about relative beer prices, but Hong Kong wasn't even on the top-ten-most-expensive-places-to-live list last year, while Osaka was number two (although Paris and Oslo are catching up). I'm sure plenty of other things made up the difference.
      I was just talking about beer prices. Hong Kong used to be one of the most expensive places to live, but property prices fell after the 97 economic crisis and are just getting back.

I work with people from Paris and from the sounds of it, Paris is an expensive place to live..
      Golfing since 67

Comment

If you're outside the United States, why in the world would you want to drink Coors?
        I wouldn't, I was just noting how surreal some of the prices were.

awamori next time
        What's that?

stuff and try some midori.
        Fruit liquor?

I keep meaning to get up to Seoul, sounds like a great place. Maybe in the fall, that or Japan. I thought Tokyo was amazing.
        If you do send me a PM and I'll tell you some good places to hit, just be warned the Seoul is definately not a tourist city...

The odd thing that I noticed about Japan is that Tokyo is extremely clean, and yet there are hardly any garbage cans on the streets. What do people do with their litter? Take it home?
        Well I saw a bunch of people cleaning the streets while I was there. Definately cleaner than Korean cities, what with having to dodge the vomit puddles all over the place every Sunday morning.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith

--"Nandeyanen is sort of an Osakan comedic phrase literally meaning "Why?". And that's all I know about it."

It's used as a kind of "what the hell?" response in the comedy routines. Have to wonder if you're an Azumanga Daioh fan ^_^
          The notes in my copy of the manga translate it as 'why.' Since I don't know much Japanese, esp. Osakan dialect, I didn't want to elaborate any further for fear of making a mistake.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

--"Wraith! Wow... everyone is coming back!"

I stop by from time to time, but I usually don't bother even looking at anything but anime-related threads. Every time I check the political/economics/etc threads it looks like nothing's changed, so I don't bother often.

--"What do people do with their litter? Take it home?"

Pretty much.

--"What's that?"

Another type of liquor, related to shochu. It's made from distilled rice. You weren't really in the right area for it (Okinawa), but you could probably have found it around.

--"Fruit liquor?"

Melon, yeah. Like I mentioned, it's rather sweet, but the bright green color is interesting. Should work well in mixes; I've got a bottle around, I should try some one of these days.

--"The notes in my copy of the manga"

Say no more, sir, say no more.

BTW, did you know that ADV is going to be releasing another manga from the same manga-ka? It's called Yotsubato, although I think the US title will just be Yotsuba. First issue should be out in June.

Wraith
            "Everyone, when you get lost, meet at Sakaki-chan!"
            -- Tomo ("Azumanga Daioh")

Comment

Midori:

Usually mixed with lemonade to reduce its sweetness, but also great in shots like the QF. YYMV in other countries, but locally the bottle is sold with a little booklet detailing several drinks you can make with Midori.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Hey, it looks like the stuff they gin up on Battlestar Galactica!

At least go for the local stuff, like Sapporo. I've never had it, but it couldn't possibly be any worse than Coors or Bud.
                I have Sapporo from time to time when I eat Korean (they normally have 2 or 3 korean beers and 2 or 3 Japanese beers). Not bad.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The notes in my copy of the manga translate it as 'why.' Since I don't know much Japanese, esp. Osakan dialect, I didn't want to elaborate any further for fear of making a mistake.

"Nande" means "why". The addition of "ya" and "nen" add emphasis to the question, which is why translation as "What the hell?" would be more appropriate.

Kansai-ben
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X