Creationism vs. Evolution: Kansas in Spotlight Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    BTW, over here, a hypothesis is an expected causality ("if A then B" or "if A then probability of B"). A theory is a set of hypotheses. These words are not dependent on whether they have been backed by evidence or not.
    I'd be surprised if that were really true. I think you may be simplifying things, as what you described just sounds like a large hypothesis.

At any rate, the Creationist usage is still wrong, because they imply (or, often, just state) that evolution lacks factual support and is only a hypothesis. This is categorically not true, of course.

The Kansas situation is a kangaroo court at best. Gee, an elected school board who are known Creationist-leaning and don't know squat about science are going to fairly judge the issue? Yeah, right. Considering the legacy of Creationists stacking debates and using all sorts of snarky tricks to appear victorious in such venues, I don't have any hopes for this "trial" producing anything of value.

It's a waste of taxpayer's money, and if Kansans had any sense, they'd boot all these schoolboard losers ASAP.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by alva
      @ Kansas and the US

"But there is a lot of evidence that suggests that life is the product of intelligence.

Like what?
      a lot is like many, many, many
      Statistical anomaly.
      The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
        I find it somewhat annoying that people say they "believe" in evolution, because it makes it sound that accepting evolution is like belief in religion. The evidence for evolution is so overwhelming that is a cold, hard, fact; just as gravity is a fact. The people who say Evolution is "just a theory" do not know the technical meaning of the word "theory", most people use the word "theory" when they really mean "hypothesis", hense the confusion between scientists and the lay person. A theory is an hypothesis that is backed up by data. A theory is a fact if there are no rival theories. Evolution is a fact AND a theory, just as gravity, a heliocentric solar system, or a round Earth is.
        Absolutely, and why there should be no problem with a rational debate being held on evolution. However I get the feeling that this is some sort of kangaroo court with it's agenda already predefined...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Humanity has so much potential. It really does. I believe that with all my heart and, as such, it breaks it everytime extremists do their thing.

Actually, humanity doesn't require extremists to break your heart. The apathy of humanity in general will crush hope too.

Y'know, there's days when I just want to say, "F*ck you, humanity. You deserve whatever you get. I only pray you wipe yourselves out before you spread your sickness beyond Earth."

I hope that day is soon.
          B♭3

Comment

Well you're a bunch of optimists aren't you?
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Well, this just looks like a YAR (Yet Another Remake) of a classic film, Inherit the Wind.

'Cept they've just updated the location, changed characters and will probably add more explosions, sex, and what not. Hollywood's gotten really good at these YARs.
              B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                Well you're a bunch of optimists aren't you?
                Well, 5000 years of civilisation and look how far we've got. The only thing we learned is how to destroy us all with a push on a button. Progress
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

The only thing we learned is how to destroy us all with a push on a button.

...as well as the ability to see many naked women's bottoms in the dark, our television screens, and our computer screens, in the privacy of our own home.

Progress
                  B♭3

Comment

Mastery of fire, the wheel, domestication of animals, agriculture, law, metal working, mass production, nuclear fission, erm, just look at the civ tech tree for Christ's sake. But the point still stands...yeah, we can destroy but we are capable of great things. Tell me, is the glass half empty or half full?
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                      Because the "debate" was over a hundred years ago, and the proper forum for the debate was most certainly not a room filled with people who have neither the knowledge nor the training to come to an informed decision.

The scientific community has accepted evolution as the most (or, in fact, only) tenable hyptohesis presented thus far.

Why not just tell me that you believe in the law of Universal Gravitation, but want to have a debate over it?

It's idiotic, and the fact that the opposition to the teaching of evolution is religious in nature tells me everything I need to know.

I whole-heartedely agree.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Mastery of fire,

See women in the dark.

the wheel

Easier to see women far away, sinc eyou don't have to walk.

domestication of animals, agriculture, law, metal working,

all overrated.

mass production

easy to see lots of copies fo the same pictures of women.

nuclear fission, erm, just look at the civ tech tree for Christ's sake.

both overrated.
                        B♭3

Comment

Half empty. But luckily I'm old enough. I won't be here anymore when the **** hits the fan
                          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                          And notifying the next of kin
                          Once again...

Comment

Aren't we a bundle of joy this evening?
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

I just want to know who designed whoever it is that designed us. If they weren't designed...well, then...how'd they come about?
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                                Mastery of fire, the wheel,* snip *
                                What's so great about the wheel, the fourth wheel, now that was a significant discovery. What the hell are you going to do with just the one wheel, push it along???
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X