Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Florida Conservatives try to force 13 year old girl to not have an abortion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Conservatives try to force 13 year old girl to not have an abortion.

The US Supreme Court struck down a Florida law backed by Gov. Jeb Bush that would have made it illegal for pregnant women under the age of 18 to have an abortion unless both of her parents agreed to allow her. The Supreme Court ruled that women have a right to what happens with there bodies which states cannot take away from them, however, a conservative lawmakers in Florida have passed a law outlawing any females in foster care from recieving an abortion.

A conservative judge has upheld the law and told a 13 year old girl in foster care that she must carry the pregnancy to term and that she may not end the pregnancy as she had sought. The ACLU has picked up the case and intends to fight the conservative anti-abortion law signed by Jeb Bush. The real question is will the courts move fast enough so that this young woman can get the medical care she is legally entitled to while there is still time?

Fla. Agency Gets Teen's Abortion Blocked

By JILL BARTON, Associated Press Writer Wed Apr 27,10:04 PM ET

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The state's social services agency was granted a court order to block an abortion for a pregnant 13-year-old girl living in a state shelter, prompting an emergency appeal Wednesday by the
    American Civil Liberties Union.
    ADVERTISEMENT

The ACLU in its appeal on the girl's behalf cited Florida statutes that protect a minor's decision to decide on an abortion.

"No (Department of Children & Families) regulation or state law can override a constitutional right as recognized by the
    U.S. Supreme Court," said Howard Simon, the organization's executive director for Florida.

"But putting aside the legalisms, forcing a 13-year-old to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term against her wishes not only is illegal and unconstitutional, it's cruel."

The girl learned she was pregnant two weeks ago and planned to have an abortion Tuesday. Her caseworker arranged for transportation and help. But the state Department of Children & Families asked a Palm Beach County juvenile judge Tuesday morning to block the procedure.

The state agency argued the 13 1/2-week pregnant girl — described as L.G. in court documents — is too young and immature to make an informed medical decision, according to the ACLU appeal.

A judge granted a temporary injunction and ordered a psychological evaluation.

There was no immediate indication when a decision on the appeal would be made.

In 2003, the
    Florida Supreme Court struck down a law requiring parents to be notified if their minor daughters seek an abortion. Florida's high court also cited privacy rights in 1989 when it tossed out a law that would have required parental consent for a minor's abortion.

But DCF spokeswoman Marilyn Munoz said state law prohibits the department from consenting to an abortion for a minor in any instance. "It's not our decision. We stand in different shoes. We're held to a higher accountability," Munoz said.

She declined to comment specifically on L.G.'s case; no details on the girl's parents or family history were available.

Gov. Jeb Bush and Florida lawmakers have tried for years to tighten state laws on abortion.

After the Florida Supreme Court struck down the 1999 parental notice law, lawmakers voted last year to change the constitution to make such a law possible.

Voters approved the constitutional amendment in November and lawmakers currently are pushing legislation to require physicians to notify at least one parent before performing an abortion on a girl under age 18. Another bill would tighten regulation of clinics that perform second-trimester abortions.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

YEAH Oerdin. Youre on a roll. Way to represent SD baby another clear violation of law by the republicans.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

if the female is in fostercare, and not of age, than I would guess the social services group should decide for her, since they are the ones responsible for her

Jon Miller
      (I don't think that someone below the age of 16 shoudl have the right to decide things like abortion)
      (you can't drink, or enter into contracts, or smoke, or etc, but you can (Arguably) kill a human being?)
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Except they are not allowed to decide. The Florida law says that it is illegal for anyone in foster care to get an abortion and makes no exceptions even for medical needs.

Comment

yeah, that is stupid

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Jesus tap dancing Christ, if I don't die of massive cerebral hemorrhage by the time I'm 30, it'll be a damn miracle.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

The 13 year old should of been should be aborted.
              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm not sure why she is in foster care since all of her details are not released but most people end up in foster car either because they're an orphan or because the state took them away for their parents for abuse or neglect. If I had to guess I'd hazard that she was sexually abused and that's why she's pregnant. Just a guess though.

Comment

foster children should have more rights to an abortion without parental consent.

Obviously this law was passed just to prevent this one abortion.

I can't believe I used to vote republican. . This is just disgusting.

Comment

Too many smelly, ugly children in the world.

Abortions

Comment

We need to outlaw abortions, but legalize killing babies.
                      "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Far-sighted bunch, those Floridians. Makes a great tagline for the tourist brouchures: "Welcome to Florida: where underage wards of the state are forced to breed!"

Methinks we should all find a publicly-traded Florida-based company that builds or manages prisons and buy, buy, buy.
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Re: Florida Conservatives try to force 13 year old girl to not have an abortion.

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          The Supreme Court ruled that women have a right to what happens with there bodies

But that is an inherently unstable, dangerous, radical idea. Autonomy over one's own body? What will be next? An end to traditional family values and thus, leading to destruction of American society?
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Stop picking on my state.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Stop *****ing, how do you think I feel?
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                              X